Subscription question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

stooges

Original poster
Jul 11, 2017
Az
A couple years ago we subscribed to Dish, and when we would go to our vacation house we would take a receiver with us. Lived in Los Angeles and our vacation house was in Arizona, right on the border. We used to get the LA locals which made it nice.

Sold primary home & moved into vacation house and currently have cable. Thinking about signing up with Dish again, but was wondering is there anyway to receive the LA locals? Using my daughters address for billing and location purposes?

In your example, your service would actually need to be installed and fully functional at your daughters home. Then you would need to take the equipment to Arizona, setup the dish and wiring yourself and never complain about anything that would require a service call.
Then Dish might change the coverage of the LA cone or otherwise discover your true location and correct your local channel choice.
Having lived in a motor home for 5 years, Dish does notice where you are accessing your service.
If you were to duplicate and share one account with your daughter, that might bring the rath of Dish down upon you.

Reactions: charlesrshell
In your example, your service would actually need to be installed and fully functional at your daughters home. Then you would need to take the equipment to Arizona, setup the dish and wiring yourself and never complain about anything that would require a service call.
Then Dish might change the coverage of the LA cone or otherwise discover your true location and correct your local channel choice.
Having lived in a motor home for 5 years, Dish does notice where you are accessing your service.
If you were to duplicate and share one account with your daughter, that might bring the rath of Dish down upon you.

I'm not sure I agree with you. He could have the service installed at his vacation home (now his actual home). This address would be his billing address and his service address. Then, he could move his service address to his daughter's house, assuming his daughter doesn't have DISH service there already. He would leave his billing address at his actual home.

You don't have to be installed at your daughter's house at all. You do need to be fully installed at your new place and it sounds as if you are or have been previously. You simply need to buy the receiver/s and install them. After they are installed you call Dish for activation and tell them your daughter's address as the activation address. Tell them you are looking at the activation screen and they should activate you just fine. Then tell them to have the billing sent to your address. That's all you need.

and rvvaquero's scenario works just as well...

Being so far put from LA, what is the purpose of wanting locals, when you're in Arizona...unless it's for the purpose of getting LA sports, then I get it.

But that's my big question with everyone that "moves" for purposes other than sports or wanting locals that care closer to their geographic location, but Dish giving another market for some weird reason.

But that's my big question with everyone that "moves" for purposes other than sports or wanting locals that care closer to their geographic location, but Dish giving another market for some weird reason.

Several that come to mind...
- Locals in home DMA with either some or all NOT available in HD
- Locals in home DMA that look like crap (even in HD!)
- Home locals that constantly preempt network prog for crappy, stupid "alternate programming"
- DMA's that lack one or more (primary) "local" networks (PBS comes to mind, where in some DMA's that don't actually have their own station per Nielsen, instead get the (SD) PBS national satellite channel, which lacks ANY local programming applicable to the "home" DMA)
- Small home DMA's that only have the "big 4/5" network channels, while an adjacent DMA might have up to 2-3 times more local channel choices

I'm sure someone can chime in with some other reasons ;)

Reactions: Tampa8
I'm sure someone can chime in with some other reasons ;)
How about Dish's refusal to sell superstations to new subscribers, while keeping them on CONUS for existing subscribers? If you don't already have the superstations (and if you don't mind losing access to all of the other satellite-delivered local networks if you are not located inside the spot-beam for that market) the only way to get any of the superstations now is to "move" to one of the markets with at least one superstation.
  • "moving" to New York City would get you WPIX and WWOR
  • "moving" to Boston would get you WSBK
  • "moving" to Denver would get you KWGN
  • "moving" to Los Angeles would get you KTLA
All of the above-listed feeds are SD-only, unless you are within the spot-beam, in which case you would get all of the available HD and SD feeds for that market.

Reactions: dishrich
and if you 'move' to one of those cities you will receive the superstation but no other local channels unless you are within that spot beam......

I miss the CONUS locals for my city, which was my primary reason for moving. There are still handful of CONUS markets.

Getting the RSNs is a bonus and why I still do it, and now I don't have to pay for the locals anymore I'm not receiving (well, I haven't for a year with Flex).

Reactions: pattykay

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)