Substituting 129 for 61.5 satellite

Realtrain1

Jul 27, 2008
I have VIP722 & 1000.2 Dish Network equipment. Currently I have aligned the 1000.2 picking up 110 & 119 with decent & stable signal levels. Once this new purchased receiver took a new download, a message prompt notified saying the displayed signal levels will be lower than originally displayed, yet actual RF signal will be the same as before. I get around a peak between 50 to 70 on both satellites depending what transponder is selected. BUT...I do not get any signal from 129...likely because of 100' trees not far away (My switch test reports a good LNB, but no usable signal). Originally I had troubles with 119 sat, until moving test location back. Unfortunately I have no more room to a clear path, cutting trees is out of question. My long story, question is can 61.5 replace the missing 129 programming? I thought these were new HD programming in nature?! I have a great view to the East.

If in fact this works, then is there a certain type of LNB to interface for compatibility to the 4th port on the 1000.2 dish switch. Can I use the older 300 LNBs? My dish has the integrated switch with 3 LNBs molded into one package. Or could I use a readily available dish 500, aligning one side of the dual LNBs, instead of a single dish 300 as a slave-on dish?

Thanks for any help.
Mike

Agonizing Fury

SatelliteGuys Pro
May 22, 2008
Yes, 61.5 can be used to pull in your HD in lieu of 129. In my area (fringe 129) we do this all the time as 129 sits at about 22 degrees EL. Usually we use a 500 with a dish pro plus twin, and run 61.5 to the LNB in port, but you should be cable to do the same with the 1000.2. Make sure the LNB you use is a Dish Pro Dual. If all the label says is Dish (Not a DP Logo) it cannot be used with the LNB in port. A 300 or 500 dish will work fine for a 61.5 wing dish. Whichever you want to use.

Realtrain1

Jul 27, 2008
substitute 129 for 61.5

Thanks much for the info...

Was wondering if I had to use a DPP LNB. Now that you say, the 1000.2 uses DPP technology, so it makes sense now. Apparently there must of been a technology change, also I cannot use any older switches other than the 44 switch. I have 3 outputs from my dish, and plan on making that sufficient.

Thanks...Mike

Last edited:

whatchel1

SatelliteGuys Master
Sep 30, 2006
Great High Plains
Thread title wrong.

Thanks much for the info...

Was wondering if I had to use a DPP LNB. Now that you say, the 1000.2 uses DPP technology, so it makes sense now. Apparently there must of been a technology change, also I cannot use any older switches other than the 44 switch. I have 3 outputs from my dish, and plan on making that sufficient.

Thanks...Mike

Seems like you should have said sub 61.5 for 129?

Last edited:

Realtrain1

Jul 27, 2008
Using 61.5 for 129

You are correct!

When I realized I was wrong, tried to edit, but was not allowed to change title.

Thanks to all who have given good advise!

One other question....is DP products compatable with DPP products? Anotherwards does anyone know for sure that a DP LNBf can function correctly when input to a DPP switch?

Agonizing Fury

SatelliteGuys Pro
May 22, 2008
You are correct!

When I realized I was wrong, tried to edit, but was not allowed to change title.

Thanks to all who have given good advise!

One other question....is DP products compatable with DPP products? Anotherwards does anyone know for sure that a DP LNBf can function correctly when input to a DPP switch?

Yes, in fact, A DP Dual (or Single) is the only type of LNB you can use with a DPPlus LNB in port. Others might work, but not for very long and not reliably.

uhf

SatelliteGuys Family
Sep 28, 2006
Iowa
I came here to ask the same question! I already have a Dish 300 looking at 61.5 and connected to the LNB IN on my 1000.2

I've had a LOT more dropouts and rain fade since the 1000.2 replaced my Dish 500. I would love to go back to the Dish 500 and use 61.5 instead of 129. But how?

I have the following equipment currently:

1000.2 Dish
61.5 Dish with DPP LNB
508 x2

I'm considering replacing one or both 508's with a 722.

I have a Dish 500 reflector, but only legacy LNBs for it at present. Also have a SW64, but I don't know if that will work with the DPP stuff, my guess is not.

I've had Dish since '97 and the technology has gotten way ahead of me! Someone help me out here with what I need to make the switch.

Thanks!

Realtrain1

Jul 27, 2008
61.5 for 129

I came here to ask the same question! I already have a Dish 300 looking at 61.5 and connected to the LNB IN on my 1000.2

I've had a LOT more dropouts and rain fade since the 1000.2 replaced my Dish 500. I would love to go back to the Dish 500 and use 61.5 instead of 129. But how?

1000.2 Dish
61.5 Dish with DPP LNB
508 x2

I have a Dish 500 reflector, but only legacy LNBs for it at present. Also have a SW64, but I don't know if that will work with the DPP stuff, my guess is not.

I've had Dish since '97 and the technology has gotten way ahead of me! Someone help me out here with what I need to make the switch.

Thanks!

I have used satellite technology since 1980 both consumer & commercial...have done many alignments of the ol C-Band dishes, and several small DBS dishes, mainly Directv or radio station data services. With over 40 trees on less than an acre where I live, setting up a small dish and getting multiple satellites clearly without a steerable dish becomes a challenge. We lose as consumers with these cheap dishes with no prime focus lnb mounts & are not steerable for a more direct alignment. I was very underwhelmed by the alignment guide scales on the Dish Network dish...if you try to make an adjustment in elevation, the dish flops down immediately upon loosening the nuts (which you are forced to do). AT least with the Directv dish (slimline) they had a nice fine worm screw adjustment dial for both elevation and azimuth.

The 1000.2 dish is supposedly around 2" inches bigger in diameter both X & Y axis than it's predecessor the 1000. I currently only watch NASA TV for the short time being until I make the a final installation of an additional dish on the 61.5 satellite. After that, I will subscribe to the HD programming package. Every night I have enjoyed either NASA or the Angel network, besides channel 101 only mounted on a simple tripod with an 8' water pipe holding the 1000.2 high enough to clear some distant trees. I have not had any troubles with 110 & 119 satellites so far. 129 is out of the question, but 61.5 will be a clear shot on another mount.

The issue you describe about "more dropouts" could be caused by many factors. My first thoughts would be, which satellites are your new subscriptions truly coming from, and have you changed birds from what you used to have. Could it be that one of your LNBs has an issue (low signal levels) but the others don't. Is your rain fading only happening on HD channels? Does your fading only happen during storms (which is normal)? It's hard to say whether this 1000.2 gives us a net gain compared to a 500 dish since the 1000.2 was designed to pick up 1 additional satellite, my guess is that it is nearly the same. Your dish may not be peaked up completely (as before with the 500)...my text readings have concluded mixed results..some people swear by the alignment charts, others say they are off a couple of degrees. Mine looked very close to the chart.

Dish has a compatibility issue between the years of equipment. DPP seems to be only compatible to itself, but, there is also DP....is that really compatible with DPP? Then I just saw on ebay a dish being sold saying: that if you only have legacy equipment, there is a converter one can install between legacy & DPP?! Fortunately the 1000.2 has a built in switch, so unless you need more than 3 receivers, it makes it pretty nice not to need an external switch.

Sorry if I'm not much help from here. I'll see if I win the DPP 500 dish on ebay in a couple of days, then add it to the LNB in No. 4 my 1000.2 and let you know if your still around.....
Mike

whatchel1

SatelliteGuys Master
Sep 30, 2006
Great High Plains
DPP44

1000.2 Dish
61.5 Dish with DPP LNB
508 x2

Thanks!

Doesn't the 1000.2 come with a DPP44 switch to combine the 3 LNB's? If so just disconnect the 129 LNBF . Then hookup the 61.5 dish to the 3rd port where 129 was hooked up. Run a check switch and see how the signal strength is for 61.5 and go from there.

Realtrain1

Jul 27, 2008
Unfortunately it does not, unless one purchases a package that way. If one desires more than 3 recievers fed from the dish, then a 44 switch is required. Also, I had read on another thread, were someone put foil over the unused 129 LNB, that way the reciever would'nt get confused between a very low 129 signal, a good 61.5 signal. This is using the fourth port input of the 1000.2 LNBF for the add-on dish (61.5 sat).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts