Success!!! (I think???)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

rjc3895

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Sep 28, 2004
Took advantage of above normal temps today and installed my SG2100 motor. Four hours later, I was able to scan most satellites. I still need some fine tuning. The only problem is that I am not seeing a pitcure. I hear all audio on the TV but no picture. I think it might be my cable from the lnb to the motor. I don't think it is RG6. However, beofre I go and buy a new cable, I thought I would as for some opinions. I have a Traxis DVB 2500. Thanks.

When that happens to me, the problem is a loose RCA connection between my receiver and the rest of my AV system.

neither of these suggestions worked. i upgraded to RG6 as well. right now, my total cable length from the lnb to themototr and from the motor to the receiver would exceed 100 feet by aout 4 feet or so. is it possible that my cable length is too long?

Again, I have signal quality around 80%, I can view my menu options (so I know my RCA cables are working), and I can see the TV chanels listed, but I only hear the audio portion of the TV station. I'm going to bypass the motor and see what happens.

Does not sound like a motor problem to me! Over 100ft of cable (RG6) is not a problem.
In satellite installation, I have used double that length on MANY occasions without a problem, good luck!

Problem Solved.
I just turned off the power switch on the back of the receiver and then turned it back on. My picture was back. I'm working my way across the arc to find all satellites that I know have channels in the clear. I'm up to AMC4.

Way to go rjc3895! I am sure you will enjoy scanning the birds. Does the Traxis have blind search?

I really like my system, although some here are aware that I will upgrade my system to a bigger dish in the near future. I find that news and sports feeds are the best with FTA.

My next receiver will have blind scan. Until then, I rely on the good folks here to give me the latest finds. One day, I will be able to return the favor :)

PSB: Thanks for the help with the True South Sat and motor/dish elevations.

Arrrrgh!!!!!!!

I spoke too soon when I posted that I had successfully installed my sg2100 motor. At the time I was really only interested in AMC 4 for the great channels (which have gone :( ). According to my location, my true south satellite would be at 76 degrees west. That falls right in the middle of SBS6 and AMC5. So, after consulting with PSB, I chose SBS6. When I line up my dish and motor to SBS6, I can get Nimq1, AMC5, AMC3, galaxy11, and AMC4. I also tried to locate G10R, IA6, Ankif1, Anikf2, and Satmex 5; however, the dish could not pick up any of these sats.

My conclusion is that the further I move away from SBS6, I begin to lose the proper elevation and longitude coordinates. So as my dish scans the arc, I eventually drop below the actual arc. Is this a correct assumption since SBS is truly no my "true South" satellite?

Any thoughts on this or any suggestions on what I need to do with my motor to compensate? According to my Sg2100 manual. I need to first find true south and then adjust for magnetic deviation. My zip is 21001. According to the charts, I should add 11 degrees for magnetic deviation; therefore, I should point the dish at 191 degrees south for true south.

My motor should be at 51 degrees and my dish at 24 degrees. I have a fortec star 31" dish, and every time I try to set my dish elevation to 24 degrees I have no quality signal. I don't think I'm reading my numbers properly on the dish. if I move my dish to what looks to be 30+ degrees, I can get a quality signal on SBS6.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions on what I need to do to tweak my settings to scan the full sat arc.

Its going to be a balancing act, its SO much easier with a receiver that has USALS. I would go back to SBS6, you know thats around 2deg. too far east for your true south. So after finding it off-set your dish motor and all 2deg to the west, we are only talking a few millimeter here. Then check the arc again, it may take a few tries but eventually you will get it, it's a good idea to mark the pole/mast with a pen so you know exactly where you started from.

If your pole/mast is exactly plumb and level set the motor elevation and never touch it again, the dish elevation can be adjusted up or down slightly to get the maximum quality, then lock it down and you should be done. Good Luck

Much better :)
Kept the motor elevation at 51 deg. and got a strong signal from SBS6. Then I loosened the motor and turned it slightly to the right. Then I moved the dish to the G10R area. I'll say it was a little bit of luck, but I hit a signal after a few attempts. Then I tweaked this signal. So far, I have been able to pick up every satallite that I have tried to locate. Thanks again.

You just cant beat a bit of luck, glad you have it all worked out now!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)