Suddenlink vs. Dish vs. Directv

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

R.B.

Original poster
Jun 26, 2017
We recently moved to Grass Valley and decided to go with Suddenlink for TV, Internet and Phone. We had Comcast in the Bay Area and to put it mildly, we are real disappointed with Suddenlink TV, especially the On Demand content and functionality. We watch allot of Amazon Prime, and found that we cannot watch many of the premium channels through Amazon as Suddenlink is not a participating provider. Suddenlink On Demand is a joke.

So, I have decided to dump Suddenlink TV and keep the Internet, and go with a Satellite system. Between Dish and Directv, which has the most robust offering and functionality?

Thanks in advance!

Rich

Compare the channels offered by both providers and see which one has the channels you want most since it's TV that you're watching, not the guide. Also if you have any plans for 4K you might want to go with DIRECTV since they've got 4K channels up now, Dish has only some on demand stuff and the occasional live channel.

From my own experience and from what I have read on this board, Dish definitely has the better equipment. The Hopper 3 has 16 tuners and is very fast. Some think DirectTV has slightly better picture quality, but a lot of us, including me, think that there is not that much difference between the two providers. To me, some channels look better on Dish and some channels look better on DirectTV, and that changes because of the way that the providers allocate bandwidth depending on what is being broadcast on all of their channels at any moment. Also, Dish handles external hard drives better than DirectTV. If you add an EHD, with DirectTV, it replaces your internal drive, but with Dish, it adds to the internal hard drive.

I think the biggest factor that you should consider is what channels/packages the providers have and how much money that it will cost. Make sure that the package you pick has the channels you want.

Reactions: JSheridan
I have both....Dishes equipment hands down is the best, and best for movie buffs....

For sports, Direct is the way to go.....That's the simple way to compare the two.

Compare the channels offered by both providers and see which one has the channels you want most since it's TV that you're watching, not the guide. Also if you have any plans for 4K you might want to go with DIRECTV since they've got 4K channels up now, Dish has only some on demand stuff and the occasional live channel.

Except a DirecTV Genie can't output 4K directly so you need a 4K client or an RVU TV.

Except a DirecTV Genie can't output 4K directly so you need a 4K client or an RVU TV.
That is true, but you need 4K programming to watch 4K which is lacking currently on Dish network vs. DIRECTV. Example, tonight and tomorrow night DIRECTV is showing the Cubs vs National on the live 4K channel, what channel is Dish showing those games on?

That is true, but you need 4K programming to watch 4K which is lacking currently on Dish network vs. DIRECTV. Example, tonight and tomorrow night DIRECTV is showing the Cubs vs National on the live 4K channel, what channel is Dish showing those games on?

Yea, most of the 4K on DirecTV is sports, which I don't really care about. :)

Reactions: KAB
I don't think now is the best time to choose a provider based on having 4K or not. It's just not big enough yet to be a big factor. Unless you're on the fence between Dish and DirecTV then maybe that's the game changer. I think equipment is a pretty huge factor and trumps 4K channels right now but that's just me.

I don't think now is the best time to choose a provider based on having 4K or not. It's just not big enough yet to be a big factor. Unless you're on the fence between Dish and DirecTV then maybe that's the game changer. I think equipment is a pretty huge factor and trumps 4K channels right now but that's just me.
I agree! I get my most of my 4K from 4K Bluray, Netflix, Amazon, YouTube, and a few other streamers. I thoroughly enjoyed what was available on Dish during the Olympics and Planet EarthII.

I've had both also as others mentioned Dish Hopper 3 is awesome, Directv has nothing close currently. The only thing missing on Dish I care about is NFL Sunday ticket since I'm living out of area from the team I care about. Dish has one up on Directv in sports with Pac12 network not offered on Directv and also carries Sportsman channel along with Outdoor in HD which for me is also a plus.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I don't really see that much difference between Hd and 4k on my hopper 3. It is a little clearer in 4k ,but I really don't get that WOW difference I got going from SD to HD over thirteen years ago. Now when they go to 8k , then I might see again the Wow factor. I've had two 4k 50" hdtvs in the last 6 months and I didn't really see that much difference on either one. Now if I had went with a larger tv , I might have seen a perk, but that size won't work in my living room. I don't see DISH adding any full time 4k and I doubt that we will see the ota broadcast channels doing it either in the near future. The Hopper 3 receiver is better than any other receiver on the market these days and I will always prefer DISH over Directv and I have had both services in my home to compare the difference in the past . I always chose DISH over Directv for price, selection of channels , and most definitely for the receivers. But then again this remains true and has in the past: If you love Sports -Directv and if you love Movies - DISH.

Reactions: charlesrshell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts