SuperDish, HDTV, and International?

jdh62

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 6, 2003
Sorry, if this has been covered before, but since searching did not bring up anything. I thought I read some posting that the SuperDish cannot support both HDTV and International channels. If this is the case, then what are my options if I need both?

I would also appreciate any recommendations on purchasing Dish equipment (live in Northern VA/DC area). I have been patiently waiting for the 921, 811, and SuperDish to arrive before subscribing. Since their arrival is imminent (?), I figure I better get in a queue to order these. Thanks for any help!

Welcome jdh62!

If you want both then you will need to wait for a new switch (to be called the DP+44 switch) which will allow you to see 4 satellite locations. :)

As for places to buy I would recommend our own SatelliteGuysStore found at http://www.satelliteguysstore.com

I also recommend DishDepot.COM as well both are excellent online retailers.

Thanks, Scott, for info and the welcome! BTW, I'm glad I found this forum and try to visit everyday.

I would certainly try to support SatelliteGuys, but was just wondering about ordering out-of-state and getting the local installation (please forgive my ignorance as I have never subscribe to satellite bfore.

Installation is no problem no matter where you are. :) Both sites can arrange for installation anywhere in the USA. :D

Since you are holding off for the upcoming equipment I am sure there will be some specials coming out in the future for those products which will include installation. :)

Besides the DP+44 switch, will we need a new
dish/lnb combination to see the internationals on 121,
or will a standard 18-inch and lnb work?

Thanks,

--Imre M.

That is still being worked on. From the talk at the show two weeks ago, a user would need two SuperDish's to get both HD and Internationals.

The reason for two superdishes is because the size needed to receive the FSS signal.

Why not just make a slightly larger SuperDish so that they could receive both 105 and 121 instead of having two SuperDish's? Is it due to the fact that the spacing of 105 and 121 is far enough apart to where there would not be a large enough span of the dish for each of those slots to pick up a strong enough signal?

Hmm. So if I have an International and HDTV I am not going to be able to have a solution until they come out with the DP44. If this is the case and the DP44 is not out to next year, how is one with HDTV and an international suppose to take advantage of the SuperDish deal. I want to get Superdish, but there is no way that I can lose International. Would I be able as a stop cap, only connect one TV to the international satellite and get most of my channels and use superdish with the other tuners until I can get the DP44? Not having the DP44 for the SuperDish launch seems to be leaving a lot of people out in the cold.

I want to move to superdish, but looks like Dish is not giving me a very viable upgrade path here.

If you are not a AT150 sub you could not hook up the 110 LNB and hook your 61.5 or 148 lnb in it's place, this you get HD, top 100 and internationals all without needing the DP+44. :D

But that would presume that all the internationals on 121 will be mirrored on 61.5. Will that be the case? I hope so, as two superdishes on my roof might push my neighbors over the edge and start a petition against me.

:(

Scott Greczkowski said:
That is still being worked on. From the talk at the show two weeks ago, a user would need two SuperDish's to get both HD and Internationals.

The reason for two superdishes is because the size needed to receive the FSS signal.

That may be true on 105, but 121 should be receivable with a small dish. E*9 is roughly the same output power as the earlier E* birds.... (before 7 and 8). And the FSS frequencies are NOT that much less than the DBS frequencies. Both E*5 and E*6 for example are 125 Watts (or doubled up 250W.) E*9 is reported as either 110W or 120W.

More modest solutions than a second UberDish exist, but Dish Network has not chosen to develop those yet.

fv3 said:
Scott Greczkowski said:

That may be true on 105, but 121 should be receivable with a small dish. E*9 is roughly the same output power as the earlier E* birds.... (before 7 and 8). And the FSS frequencies are NOT that much less than the DBS frequencies. Both E*5 and E*6 for example are 125 Watts (or doubled up 250W.) E*9 is reported as either 110W or 120W.

More modest solutions than a second UberDish exist, but Dish Network has not chosen to develop those yet.

Actually it is that the satellites are 2 degrees apart rather than 9 degrees apart. A larger dish can focus in on a smaller section of sky to eliminate adjacent satellite interference.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)