Superdish Insatallation on treated 4x6?

SkiOn1

Jun 7, 2004
Has anyone installed a superdish on a treated 4x6? I need to clear some trees and need to get some height in order to do this. Any problems I might encounter doing this? The 4x6 would be treated as well as placed about 4 feet into the ground set with concrete. Any additional items I would need for the install? Any comments/advise is appreciated. Thanks.

boba

SatelliteGuys Master
Dec 12, 2003
Dorchester, TX.
SkiOn1 said:
Has anyone installed a superdish on a treated 4x6? I need to clear some trees and need to get some height in order to do this. Any problems I might encounter doing this? The 4x6 would be treated as well as placed about 4 feet into the ground set with concrete. Any additional items I would need for the install? Any comments/advise is appreciated. Thanks.
DON'T DO IT. Wood expands and contracts due to moisture content FSS satellites are based on 2 degree spacing which is far closer than DBS satellites. A slight movement as the wood dries out in the summer or swells with the rainy season could cause loss of signal. Use a piece of pipe instead. :)

SkiOn1

Jun 7, 2004
I had thought of using pipe; however, leaning a ladder against a 4x6 is MUCH sturdier than trying to lean a ladder against pipe.

SkiOn1

Jun 7, 2004
ajohnson said:
I wouldn't be leaning a ladder on it. The aim would change when you got off the ladder and removed it.

You make a good point. I do have access to a (standalone) ladder that is 12-14 feet high so I should be able to get up to around 15-20 feet in the air which I think would be sufficient. Where are the best places to try to get a 20-24 foot pole?

Mickdog

SatelliteGuys Family
Feb 26, 2004
I would go with a 6x6. A friend of mine has his mounted on a 6x6, and he has had slim to none signal loss, through a lot of rain. We live in NW Florida. Also, through Ivan, when all was said and done, he wound up getting his switch replaced, which either took a lighting hit, or a electric wire hit and that was all. Through 120 mph winds, his Superdish, and the 6x6 was still where it was! Go figure! :cool:

Stargazer

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Sep 7, 2003
Western WV
If the pole is attached to something like a deck or something then thats different but the signal is so sensative on a SuperDish that the signal will drop quite a bit in some cases if not be completely lost (depending on how strong you got it in - in the first place) just by tightening up the bolts on the dish.

JohnTenn

SatelliteGuys Family
Jun 3, 2004
I wouldn't suggest mounting a SD that high in the air without some added support. It will act like a sail and sway much more then you can easily control. If you are going to attach it similar to a tripod antenna, and secure it near the top, you should be okay. As for a pole, I get mine from the local Fencing company. They get their stock in 24' sections, or you can get it cut to length.

SkiOn1

Jun 7, 2004
JohnTenn said:
I wouldn't suggest mounting a SD that high in the air without some added support. It will act like a sail and sway much more then you can easily control. If you are going to attach it similar to a tripod antenna, and secure it near the top, you should be okay. As for a pole, I get mine from the local Fencing company. They get their stock in 24' sections, or you can get it cut to length.

What I was going to do for additional support was to put it 4 feet into the ground (cemented in with something on the end of it to prevent it from turning) and put it right next to my detached garage (9' high walls) and then anchor it to the building at the approx. 9' faxcia height. Would this be enough support?

Frank Jr.

Beati pacifici 5:9
Supporting Founder
Apr 8, 2004
Columbia S.C.
Just my .02 Over time the 4x6 will move as it dries out. How often you will need to realign the dish shouldn't be frequent. But I still don't like the idea. Are you sure that you have to clear the tops of the trees with the dish? The angle of the dish is not in line of site with the satellites. The angle of the sat signal is higher. From ground up how high do you intend to go? If you anchor it to your garage 9' up for my money I would go with a pole. Anyway whatever you windup doing, good luck.

SkiOn1

Jun 7, 2004
ByrdWatcher said:
Just my .02 Over time the 4x6 will move as it dries out. How often you will need to realign the dish shouldn't be frequent. But I still don't like the idea. Are you sure that you have to clear the tops of the trees with the dish? The angle of the dish is not in line of site with the satellites. The angle of the sat signal is higher. From ground up how high do you intend to go? If you anchor it to your garage 9' up for my money I would go with a pole. Anyway whatever you windup doing, good luck.

Thanks for the response. I wish I had some answers to your questions. The problem is - this is for my lake house and that is 225 miles from here so I it's not like I can just hop over and see. I'm heading up this weekend to work on this so just trying to get opinions before I head up there and am internet-less.

Stargazer

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Sep 7, 2003
Western WV
If you dont mind reaiming your dish if it were to move then I would go ahead and do it. It should not move as much seeing how you are going to attach it to something else. The worst that can happen is that you might have to realign it slightly. That would most likely affect your FSS satellite signal for local channels.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)