Superdish installation

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Many installers include the pole while others will charge as much as $75 for the pole mount. If the installer has to run a lot of wire in the ground to the pole and has a lot of wire to be buried then the installer may charge extra for that as well, but this varies. I have seen many put the dishes on the roof's. The cheapest installation would probalby be those which can have the SuperDish mounted in the same area that the previous dish was at.

As an installer who's put in at least 200 of the SD's, I recommend against mounting it on the roof. The mast has far to small a footprint to hold up the 35+ pounds of SD weight.

I also recommend that you stress to your installation company that you WILL NOT accept a fiberglass SD. I have replaced 5 in the last month due to the qeight of the LNB and neck breaking the fiberrglass where the neck attaches.

aredknight said:
As an installer who's put in at least 200 of the SD's, I recommend against mounting it on the roof. The mast has far to small a footprint to hold up the 35+ pounds of SD weight.

I also recommend that you stress to your installation company that you WILL NOT accept a fiberglass SD. I have replaced 5 in the last month due to the qeight of the LNB and neck breaking the fiberrglass where the neck attaches.

What is the other Dish made from, and does it have a different model number?

I have never installed any of these SuperDishes on a roof and I do not see myself doing so. They get a pole mount instead. I have seen a LOT of SuperDishes installed on the roof and it amazes me at how many are installed this way when Dish Network said to not install these on the roof.

Yea, my dad won't let anything touch the roof, so we'll have to add it to our pole mount satellite farm if we get the SD. I have an old C-Band size 7 ft pole still in place, along with a 15ft pole with a working c-band dish on it, a direcway dish on a pole, and a Dish Network dish mounted on the old wooden playset. My mom always complains about how we have so many dishes lying in the farm and would prefer to have only the c-band, while my dad usually doesn't know what each dish is for... its a crazy world

I just had a SD mounted on my roof by a Dish contract installer. I used 2x4s under the 1/2" sheathing and he (at my request) lagged the two center holes over the joist and drilled 5/16" holes at the four corners for long bolts (provided by me) to go thru the 2x4s with large fender washers & nuts on the inside of the garage roof. If this is too complicated let me know and I will post a few photos! :D

This will allow me to remove the dish in a few years when the roof will be replaced by the HOA and reverse drill thru the new roof finding the exact aligned location to replace the SD.

I insisted on and got a type 1 steel SD since it is lighter and will accept a stick-on heater if the aftermarket suppliers ever make one...also it will not crack. The installer said that Dish is phasing them out in favor[?] of the plastic model, type 2...bad decision, if true!

Oh yea, I also had him install the dual diagonal brace kit as well...a no brainer for a sail like the SD wherever used!

I dont know why installers would choose to install on the roof when I would think it would easier to do a pole mount on the ground plus the liability of the roof to leak or the dish to get blown off easier.

Stargazer said:
I dont know why installers would choose to install on the roof when I would think it would easier to do a pole mount on the ground plus the liability of the roof to leak or the dish to get blown off easier.

Reasons for me: :rainbow

1. Line of Sight issues.

2. I am in a HOA and do not own the land around the home, thus I cannot legally place a dish upon it.

3. The type of siding (cedar) and underlaying construction make it difficult to mount a 50# dish hanging from the wall.

4. Leakage is mitigated by the use of an asphalt/rubber pad and RTV.

5. I supported the roofing with 2x4s.

Perhaps others have more reasons.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)