Superdish on Post?

Parlyle

Pub Member/Supporter
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 16, 2004
West Central Wisconsin
#1 question I have now is, has anybody heard if E* will put some of the HD channels on the 105 satellite? If so will I have to get a "Superdish" to recieve those channels? I now have a E* 500 system (Legacy) with 2 SW-21's feeding 2 recievers, (My NEW 811, and a 510). I have yet to get the TV I want, but thats another story, I have a SD JVC 32" now and it does pretty well with the 811 SD and HD downconversions. Anyway, I plan to get the dish off my roof and put it on an "Xpotential, 6"X6"X8' composite post". I have heard these are solid if put into the ground, and at 160 pounds apiece they aren't easy to move. I am confident they will fill the bill on a regular small E* dish, but will it prove adaquate for the "Superdish" if I have to install that to get the 105 satellite in the future? I'm ready to dig the hole for the install and would like to have the answers before I call my retailer for the satellite dish install. To have him put the Super up or just replace the 500 dish to the post. Thanks!
Lyle

As far as more HD on 105 is just speculation at this point. Dish has hinted that perhaps they would like to put HD on 105, but has not done so or officially said they were going to do so. The speculation derives from:

1. They originally said they were going to put HD on 105, they started to put HD on 105, but when the old satellite could not deliver the signal to the entire country, they moved all the HD off of 105 and put it on 110.

2. 110 is very full now, it is unlikely that they could add more than 2-6 more HDTV channels to it at this time. There are rumors that DIRECTV will add a bunch of HD soon, so Dish will want to keep up somehow.

3. The new satellite for 105 will launch next month, it will be very powerful

4. A new satellite is going up to 110 next year that will have a very large number of spot beams on it that will allow them to move a lot of the superdish locals to 110, this will mean there will be a lot of empty space on 105 (and 121, plus right now they both have a lot of empty space anyways).

But, as with most things, it is just impossible to tell with Dish, they change plans up until the very last second.

As far as the post goes I assume you already have the post in the ground, if you are just doing it for the dish, why not just go with the regular pole Dish uses for SuperDish installations? I would not pay the money now for superdish without knowing what Dish is up to, unless you just like to play with it as a hobby like I do. I have pointed a dish at 105 and 121, not much excitement yet (my locals are supposed to come to 121 some day, they are uplinked). I put up 105 when they first talked about HD on 105, it just has sat there for 8 months now...

I've heard the same thing from my employer but, where did you find the information that dish is going to be launching new birds. I'd just like to read the details on it.

The echostar 10 bird has little information out on it... need someone that lives around Washington DC to visit the FCC and get copies of the filings since they are not put online.

Here is some info: http://www.lmcommercialspace.com/pay/capabilities.htm

Lockheed Martin builds Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS) systems for customers like EchoStar Communications’ DISH Network. We built EchoStar’s first DBS satellite, which launched in 1995. Since then, Lockheed Martin has built four more satellites for EchoStar, including EchoStar VII to provide local channel coverage to residential television viewers. And in 2003, we were awarded a contract to build EchoStar X, a high-power Ku Band A2100-AX satellite providing over 45 spot beams for coverage of the continental United States, Alaska, Hawaii and the Caribbean

From Echostar annual report: http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1001082/000095013404004202/d13664a1e10vkza.htm

Satellites under Construction and Leased Satellites. EchoStar X, which is expected to be launched during 2005, is being built by Lockheed Martin Commercial Space Systems and will be used for expanded DISH Network video services.

During March 2003 we entered into a satellite service agreement with SES Americom for all of the capacity on a new FSS satellite, which may be located at the 105 degree orbital location or certain other orbital locations. We also agreed to lease all of the capacity on an existing in-orbit FSS satellite at the 105 degree orbital location beginning August 1, 2003 and continuing at least until the new satellite is launched. We intend to use the capacity on the satellites to offer a combination of programming including local network channels in additional markets, together with satellite-delivered, high-speed internet services. During August 2003, we exercised our option under the SES Americom agreement to also lease for an initial ten-year term all of the capacity on a new DBS satellite at an orbital location to be determined at a future date. We anticipate that this satellite will be launched during the fourth quarter of 2005.

During February 2004, we entered into two additional satellite service agreements for capacity on FSS satellites. Pending the successful launch and entry into service of the previously described new FSS satellite, the satellite under the first of these agreements is scheduled for launch during the first half of 2005. We intend to use this additional satellite as backup in the case of any unexpected events related to the initial operational deployment of the satellite at the 105 degree orbital location, and may also utilize the satellite to offer local network channels in additional markets, together with satellite-delivered, high-speed internet services. The satellite under the second of these agreements is planned for launch during the second half of 2006 and is contingent upon, among other things, obtaining necessary regulatory approvals. There can be no assurance that we will obtain these approvals or that the satellite will ultimately be launched. It is our intent to use the capacity on this satellite to offer additional value-added services.

Wow, 45 spotbeams in addition to what they already have is a LOT. It sounds like they want to move most if not all of the content on 105 and 121 to 110 so that they do not have to install anymore SuperDishes to those in the local markets and use 105 and 121 for HD content instead since there is a bit less demand for the HD than there is for locals at this time. Either that or they realize that they are going to need more HD content in the future using 105 and 121 perhaps even for locals eventually but mainly for the basic and premium channels currently offered.

Don't forget about international channels, they are supposed to be on 121. I wouldn't worry to much about what Dish is going to do right now. Their plans will probably change several times between now and the end of the year.

tonyp56 said:
...Their plans will probably change several times between now and the end of the year.
Let's see, there's about 100 working days until the end of the year, so that means 20 total flip-flops, 50 major changes, and 200 minor ones - and that's just with deciding how many keys to issue for the executive washroom! :D

Well what is interesting is that in addition to 121 and 105 they have leased 2 more FSS satellites... They are also working to get more DBS satellites also (provided the FCC can work out a way to get more satellite slots open between 101,110,119, etc).

What are they going to be doing with 4 Ku-FSS satellites? If they move most LIL to 110 on E10, and make 121 international and 105 HD, what are the other 2 satellites for? One possible use I could think of is LIL HD for the larger markets.... Also they are bidding on all of 157, and have huge capacity still open on 148... They are adding capacity at a very fast rate, but do not seem to be using it. West coast markets could get LIL HD off of 148/157, east coast off the 2 new Ku-FSS.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts