superstations question

dlh1435

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 6, 2004
Will dish ever lose the superstations package cause of copyright?I'm just wondering.

dlh1435 said:
Will dish ever lose the superstations package cause of copyright?I'm just wondering.

anything is possible, but hopefully not

Unless Dish is going to get a WB & UPN feed for those areas that don't have one available, the Supers should stay. I know there is something in SHVERA that treats the Supers (WPIX, KWGN, KTLA, WWOR, WSBK) like regular networks in terms of qualifying for them (must be outside of Grade B)

There are some areas that involk "syndex" (I think thats the word). Philly UPN is one of them. You cant get the UPN Supers in Philly.

Here in cincinnati dish refuses to carry our upn 25.I don't know why but tng tony knows why.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't know why, I just know that Dish has flatly refused to carry the channel. Pisses me off to no end!

See ya
Tony

I think (and hope) that most if not all of the DMA markets would have their locals before such a thing would happen.

IF SHVIRA/SHVERA passes as people seem to think it will the suppers will be much harder to get. They will basically be the diustant nets for WB and UPN. You would be unable to get the corresponding superstation if you can get that network OTA OR if DISH carries it in your locals package. No grandfathering. No waivers.

Geronimo said:
IF SHVIRA/SHVERA passes as people seem to think it will the suppers will be much harder to get. They will basically be the diustant nets for WB and UPN. You would be unable to get the corresponding superstation if you can get that network OTA OR if DISH carries it in your locals package. No grandfathering. No waivers.

whew...I'll be OK, then
where I live:
WB is cable only
UPN is on a digitial subchannel

IF SHVIRA/SHVERA passes as people seem to think it will the suppers will be much harder to get.

If this is the case, I hope it doesn't pass then. Us fat people can't afford to have our suppers harder to get :D

When Nashville first got their ok for super stations I signed up for the package right away, but the honeymoon was over pretty quick for me. The content on most of the stations are duplicated and just played back at different times.

Now I'm not a big sports fan other than football so I expect the draw of the super stations are for sporting events. I still have the package but I think I'll go to the web site and cancel them today. Let me know if I'm right about the sporting events.

Bob

stratguy said:
Now I'm not a big sports fan other than football so I expect the draw of the super stations are for sporting events. I still have the package but I think I'll go to the web site and cancel them today. Let me know if I'm right about the sporting events.

Bob

not any more..When the Supers first were availabel on Dish we had the following
Mets on WWOR
Yanks on WPIX
Red Sox on WSBK
Dodgers on KTLA
Rockies on KWGN

Now all thats left is Mets on WPIX and I think the Clippers on KTLA.

I have WPIX for the Mets, but for WB. I dont have an OTA WB or UPN, so to get that programming I need the Supers.

Noob questions:

1) Why are the local UPN and WB channels called "Superstations?"
2) Aside from not getting them locally, why would anyone pay extra for these?
3) Why are there so many of them not in a contract with Dish?

Sorry for the questions, but this has been bugging me.. Thanks!

The Superstations are UPN and WB.

Because they don't broadcast enough hours of national programming they are not classified as a network.

And I don't think the new SHVRA has them classified as networks either, so I don't think loosing the superstations will be a problem.

This makes me really glad that they added my local DMA with WB/UPN station in it, just in case they make SuperStations harder to receive.

Wishbone said:
Noob questions:

1) Why are the local UPN and WB channels called "Superstations?"
2) Aside from not getting them locally, why would anyone pay extra for these?
3) Why are there so many of them not in a contract with Dish?

Sorry for the questions, but this has been bugging me.. Thanks!

1) Local UPN and WB stations are not called super stations. Super Stations is a specific term that applies ONLY to KTLA (Los Angeles), KWGN (Denver), WPIX (NYC), WWOR (NYC) and WSBK (Boston). It also used to apply to WGN 9 chicago, but WGN Superstation is now a cable-only channel which shares only about 60% of the program schedule with WGN 9 Chicago. WTBS Atlanta is now the sole OTA affiliate of the TBS cable channel and no longer a Superstation under the current law.

All these stations were at one time independent channels with major league sports that cable companies throughout the country though would be great to provide their customers back in the 70s. Eventually these and other stations were uplinked as "superstations". The only problem is, no one bothered to ask the stations or the program copyright owners if this was okay with them! Fast forward to today...the last loop-hole remaining allowing Superstations to exist without the consent of the program content owners is being closed up.

So...KTLA, KWGN, WPIX are all super stations and all WB affiliates now. WWOR and WSBK are also superstations and UPN affiliates now. And Dish has been using these to fill in the gaps where they either refuse to carry the local channel (like the UPN here in Cincinnati), or for anyone who wants additional sports and 75 airings of Elimidate. :D

2) Mets Baseball. News from NYC, LA, Boston, Denver. Program not available in your area. Choice in time zone for WB. These are just a few reasons that popped in my head. I'm sure I could think of more if it wasn't 5:30 in the figgin morning! :)

3) Huh? Are you asking why so many local areas are missing WB and UPN? The answer is mostly because many local areas do not HAVE WB or UPN full power local stations. In Cincinnati, the UPN affiliate is a low power TV station and not eligible for must carry. Dish does not carry low power stations unless they are one of the big 4 networks (or unless one of the big 4 network holds itself hostage until Dish relents and carried the cable-only or low power TV channel. See http://ekb.dbstalk.com/19 for details on what full-power channels are in any specific market and what Dish carries.

See ya
Tony

Thanks for the detailed reply... You were right in your guess of what my third question was asking... I'm still figuring out the lingo in order to ask the right questions..

Thanks again.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)