Superstations

SAEMike

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Does anyone know the rule about how people qualify for Superstations, and if there is any way to appeal the superstations you can get.

Here in Anchorage, I'm only able to get the two UPN stations (WWOR and WBSK) I would really like to get a WB station (WPIX). I think the reason I can't is because one of our networks up here has the WB as their secondary network, but they don't carry any WB programing. I've read on the local cable forum that the Cable Comapany should have a WB station pretty soon.

If anyone that's knowledgable on this subject could educate me a little about all of this I would be very grateful.

Thanks!

That is real weird that you would be blocked from getting WB Superstations (I did run an address on the address broker and its right).

Some areas of the US claim they are the only option and you can't get the Supers (I know Philly does it with UPN), but its weird if you don't have a WB station in your market but they block you from getting WB Supers. The station that carries it is the one who is blocking you from getting it.

I wonder why you want WPIX :D :)

It doesn't matter whether or not one of your local staions is showing programing that would be on a superstation. If they have the rights to the programing and claim them you will be denied the superstation that would be showing that same programing.

n0qcu said:
It doesn't matter whether or not one of your local staions is showing programing that would be on a superstation. If they have the rights to the programing and claim them you will be denied the superstation that would be showing that same programing.

Yeah, I think that kinda stinks, but hey, there are complex reasons for why these things happen. I emailed the General Manager of the station that is blocking us getting the WB, maybe he can do something since he's helping the cable company get a WB station.

I looked at their website...where do they have WB programming? I didn't see any.

This one just sounds weird that they would block you from other WB programming, when I really can't find any on their station :)

Iceberg said:
I looked at their website...where do they have WB programming? I didn't see any.

This one just sounds weird that they would block you from other WB programming, when I really can't find any on their station :)

I agree, that's what stinks particularly for the people who really do want WB programming, such as Smallville. Channel 13 doesn't show any WB programming, they've just tied up the WB rights.

SAEMike said:
I agree, that's what stinks particularly for the people who really do want WB programming, such as Smallville. Channel 13 doesn't show any WB programming, they've just tied up the WB rights.

ahhhh..I see

If they are trying to help get another WB statiion for the area, it is probably because they own the other station. But if they get it, you will at least get WB programming.

jerryez said:
If they are trying to help get another WB statiion for the area, it is probably because they own the other station. But if they get it, you will at least get WB programming.

The WB will probably be cable only.

If you look at Mike's avatar, he doesn't want WPIX for the WB programming :D ;)

Does your local DMA having a WB or UPN even have bearing on what qualifies you for superstations?

Reason I ask, here in Charlotte, we have both a WB and a UPN affiliate. Dish has both as part of the locals package, yet I can still get the superstations (and do)

Come November everyone will loose the Super Stations as WB and UPN will be declaired networks.

Then the only way to get them is with Waivers.

The bill looks like it will pass.

DWS44 said:
Does your local DMA having a WB or UPN even have bearing on what qualifies you for superstations?

Reason I ask, here in Charlotte, we have both a WB and a UPN affiliate. Dish has both as part of the locals package, yet I can still get the superstations (and do)

not really
The stations (or in Mike's case...invisible station) has to claim exclusive status for the programming. UPN in Philly does it. That's the only way to get blocked from Supers.

Mpls has both and I had WPIX in NY. Now I live in Duluth and we don't have either available (WB is cable only..UPN is on a digital subchannel) and can get Supers

bobj2004 said:
Come November everyone will loose the Super Stations as WB and UPN will be declaired networks.

If they are going to play the "you must qualify" crap for Supers, then I qualify :)

WB is cable only
UPN is on a digital subchannel

bobj2004 said:

That'll suck. (unless my local WB has a little more compassion than my local Fox, which was not very accomodating with the granting of a waiver.)

Well, I emailed the general manager of the station that is hogging up the WB rights and they said that there should be an announcement for the cable company soon, but that he "could not approve the Dish package at this time" so I guess he just feels he wants to help out the local cable company instead of looking out for all his viewers.

Oh well :(

SAEMike said:
Well, I emailed the general manager of the station that is hogging up the WB rights and they said that there should be an announcement for the cable company soon, but that he "could not approve the Dish package at this time" so I guess he just feels he wants to help out the local cable company instead of looking out for all his viewers.

Oh well :(

Mike
Unless they put a WB on an OTA channel, it will be cable only (Duluth, MN is the same way..KWBD channel 2...cable only)

All it is the national WB feed with a "local" call sign and some local advertising.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)