swappign HDs in 622

slug420

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 23, 2004
So my 622 just crapped out. Turned off the other night while i was watching a show, then the fan came on really loud for like 5 minutes, then it went silent for 5 minutes (lights off) and then 5 minutes later (all estimates) it came back on and acquired signal and worked for about 10 minutes before doing this all over again. It has been rebooting for a few days, my replacement dvr is on the way....

my question is can I pop the HD out of the broken DVR and put it in the new one (assuming the HD isnt what failed) so that I dont have to recreate all of my dvr timers (sooo many...) and so i dont lose all the content I had recorded onto my previous unit (and not watched yet)?

I assume this is technically possible (though maybe you coudl correct me) but im wondering if there are stickers on the case that will be broken when opening the unit thus making them not want to take the old one back....stuff like that

your thoughts?

There is a warranty sticker on the bracket that holds the drive, you can't get to the screws without violating the sticker.

I believe the last one I looked at also had the R00 number of the receiver stamped on the side of the hard drive, so they would be able to tell if you swapped them.

Technically possible though, if you do it, you should use the old drive long enough to archive everything you want to keep onto an external drive, then you can restore it to the new one. Or, use something like Ghost to copy the entire content of the old drive to the new one before you turn it on the first time. But, I also seem to remember these drives don't like to be connected to a pc and won't power up, so that may not be an option.

man thats so weak. im really sick of these 622s dying on me. Went through 3 when i first got it before I got one that worked....which lasted all of 6 months or so

You can copy the recordings to an external hard drive (EHD) for a fee of $40? for the whole house and a USB hard drive (50?-750 or more in a single drive). I would not recommend trying to remove the drive unless you are buying/have bought the expensive DVR.

There is a new two-way remote to be use with new 722k coming in Dec. that will lets you copy all settings to it and back to another "k" machine for about $20--see the latest Tech Talk. That includes the timer settings. Search list, too? For now write them down, keep a copy, and reenter them.

Your 5-minute loud fan sounds like the NORMAL nightly/daily reboot/update. Use menu-8-4 to check the time of day for that. You cannot disable it but you can dodge it around recordings--do not repeat for more than a few days.

-Ken

From the description of the problem, it may be the HDD has gone bad in the old receiver anyway.

That is the component with the most moving parts.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)