swapping external usb hard drive into an esata enclosure for use with the HR24

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
I haven't tried it myself. But, from some of the discussions, it is a bit tricky. Some eSATA connections work and some don't. There seem to be no hard and fast rules on any of them. Please share the info on how things go. I too have an HR24 and would like to expand the storage with an external drive. If this inexpensive case makes things work that would be great. (Others have used cases they find on NewEgg, but there doesn't seem to be anything special about them.) I will probably follow your lead if this works for you.

You probably know it already, but when you attach the drive to your receiver it wipes out everything on the disk. So if there is anything you want to save you have to do it before you attach it.

Got it to work, saved me about $150 as I was able to reuse my ehd from my dish

Got it to work, saved me about $150 as I was able to reuse my ehd from my dish

I never paid over that for my EHD's that I bought ...
The Seagate EHD's seem to work well, not sure if you can find them as readily now as you could back then.

Remember it has to be ESATA.

I take that back, I think I got my 1.5 TB for $ 189, it was very nice to be able to plug it in, reboot and it all worked, none of the messing around with the cases and whatnot.

So, did you use the Vantec box you referenced in your first post?

Yes, I used the vantec enclosure. Just make sure you follow the directions for hooking up. At first it didn't work, but then when i actually followed along it worked ad now have 1tb of space.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)