Switch check failure

Hoosier-Daddy

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 13, 2007
I've had a 522 for a few years and last week had a message come up that forced me to do a "check switch" (would have been nice if the message said where that was in the menus). I did and it passed. It came up again every few minutes and eventually it failed and I was dead in the water. The next day, and since, everything was fine. The messages happened during and after light rain (no noticeable loss of PQ). So I suspect its more an issue of some hardware not liking being wet more than rain blocking the signal. I also noticed that the signal strength was much lower than it had been when I last looked at it (many months before) but the screen says the scale had changed so I don't know if the signal strength is really worse. It reads 45 and 62 now (during the problem time and now); I think it used to be 75 and 90, but on the old scale. I don't want to wait till I have a total unrecoverable outage; does anyone know what the (possible) cause of the problem is? The dish (500) is on the roof of a single story part of the house with a clear shot at the satellites. I have no idea where the "switch" is or if its integral with the dish. TIA

did you checked all ends for water damage? have you checked if you have LNB drift at menu 6-1-3?

Thanks for the reply. I read about drift in another thread but can't find any screen that shows that, including the one you mentioned. That one has several pages of information but it is just a reiteration of the setup options and how to contact Dish, etc. I'm guessing either 522s don't show the drift amount, or only show a value if out of range or show it on some screen I've never seen. I'll go up on the roof and look for water damage, but am not sure I'd recognize it unless its obvious external corrosion. As I said, I don't even know where all the components are unless they are attached to the actual dish.

Shocking News from My Dish Installer

I need help with dvr 510

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)