Switch error messages

Dan522

Original poster
Oct 15, 2004
I am having an issue and had not seen anyone post on this yet. Most of the time now, when I turn on the 522, it tells me there is a problem in the switch and I need to run the test in the dish point menu. I then go and run the switch test which reports no problems, yet I continue to receive the error when turning the unit on.

I was looking at the signal strength on the 110 and 119 using various transponders and noticed that for some transponders on each sat, I am getting zero signal strength, while others are in the 95-120 range. It is not an even/odd tp issue.

Other than the error that comes up each time I start, I am getting all my channels fine. The local channels have always been of poor quality (pixelization). I have always attributed the poor picture quality to either poor signal sent by the local affiliates, or Dish using compressed feeds for all local channels.

Could my local quality be due to a hardware problem, or are the two unrelated. I was going to call tech support this weekend to see if they can resolve it (or schedule an installer visit), but wanted to see what you all thought.

Thanks

Well for one thing, you won't get a signal on all the transponders of 110 & 119 since many of those are spotbeams which may not be seen in your area.

As for the 522 and switch, is the 522 getting power all the time? I mean, it's not plugged into a lightswitch controlled receptacle, is it?

The locals being poor quality could be a number of things, most of which are out of your reach (as in the quality has already suffered before being beamed down to your dish).

It sounds like you might have a bad switch. Or it could be that for some reason your 522 isn't keeping power to the switch.

my locals look like crap as is. anyway. is there a switch in yoursetup or is it just the LNB to the receiver? the 2 you are experiencing if your signal strengths are in the 90's the pixelation is jsut the locals. about not having any strength on certain TP's is probably because they are spot beams. checking both 110 and 119 on TP 11 and 12 is the way to test your signal. as for the switch check error have you rebooted the reciever recently. i get that message after about a week of not rebooting.

wow that was not cohearant

Locals being pixelated = Just about normal

Switch check coming up frequently = Is there a switch in the system or is it strait form the LNB (with grounding blocks in the line)

Have you rebooted recently? If not do so

For testing signal strengths use Transponders 11 and 12 on 110 and 119. there are several spot beams so that is probably why you are getting 0 signal on certain ones

Thanks for the replies. How do you do a hard reset of the unit? I do standard power down each night (with constant power to the unit), but have never performed a reboot in the 2 months I have had it.

probably one of the problems. a SOFT reset is by holding the power button till the unit goes blank and the fan spins up. itll reaquire signal... then should come back up.

a HARD reset is depriving the unit of power for a significant amount of time

Thanks. I will try a soft reset first and see if it resolves the issue. If not I will try the hard reset. Thanks for the quick replies.

I get the check switch message if I power down the unit with the remote and then immediately power it back up - usually when I fumble finger and turn the 522 off when I didn't want to.

I've been having the check switch messages for about a week now. Finally yesterday the picture just quit. You could change the channels, but no picture or sound ever displayed. Did a soft boot and so far no problems, but it's only been a day...I'm sure more problems will arise shortly.

I had this same problem. According to DISH, this is a known software issue with 2.05 which will produce a false switch error. Supposedly, it is caused by bad weather/moist conditions that cause the false errors. As long as you only get it on the 522 and it works if you just cancel out of the screen, just ignore it and it should be resolved with the next update.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)