Switch problem

MikeF

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 2, 2003
I seem to be havin g a problem with my switch. It shows up mainly on my 510 receiver, although it is beginning to give my 811 problems also. I keep getting an error that says to run the "Check Switch" utility. When I do, most of the time it completes fine but not always. The error always shows up when tuned to Sat 110. The 811 will give an error about cable runs of over 100', which this is not. It is 100' exactly. The 510 shows that the switch is a 44 but occasionally will show something else. It even came up as a 3 Sat switch Saturday night. What do I need to fix this? I am guessing that this switch is the thing where the 2 cables from the LMB become 1 before going to the receivers. The LMB is for 4 receivers although I only have 3. I never have a problem on the old receiver, just the 510 and 811. I had never had a switch problem at all before. last fall when I had a 6000 and the 510 installed, the guy changed the switches and LMB. I have a Dish500. What do I need to do? This has passed from occasional to annoying.

It would be nice if you could tell us what you have for equipment. Guessing from your original post you have a Legacy Quad( originally setup with 6000) being fed through 3 separate cables to 3 receivers. Two receivers are giving problems, 510 and 811. First guess is going to be the new connections were made without using weather proof connections and corrosion is forming on those fittings reducing the signals getting to the receiver. Remove the connection at the ground block and at the dish and see if the copper is shiny or grey/black.

You have to tell us what switch model you have.
I would guess it is a 44 as that is what the testing utility says.

Boba, you are right about the setup. I will check the connections like you said. They are tucked up under the eve of the house so they don't get any "direct" weather. The originals were like that for years without a problem. These have only been there since November '03. Go figure

I "go figure" boba is right. I'll guess the original fittings are of a weather-resistant style amd the new ones are not. A couple of season changes, and bang!

One other note, especially if you're gonna replace some ends. You say you have a cable "exactly" 100' long. That sounds like a ready-made length. If so, and you don't need that much, pull the slack and cut it down. 100' is the LIMIT for Legacy gear - give yourself some cushion.

If you have 3 recievers & a quad LNB, you shouldn't need a switch. Perhaps I read something wrong?

100'' limit on Legesy Gear??? :eek: I have a Legesy Twin and run it about 225 ft with one of those dbs boosters in the mittle. It works great! On top of all of that, it runs into a duplexor, out the window via thin coax, back in the window on thin coax, then into another duplexor!!!! 100'' limit, I think not!

bsilvertab said:
100'' limit on Legesy Gear??? :eek: I have a Legesy Twin and run it about 225 ft with one of those dbs boosters in the mittle. It works great! On top of all of that, it runs into a duplexor, out the window via thin coax, back in the window on thin coax, then into another duplexor!!!! 100'' limit, I think not!
I didn't say 100" (inch) limit, I said 100' (foot), but I know what you meant.

As for that limit, try it without the booster and see what happens - but you already know or you wouldn't have it in the system.

And I think you mean diplexer. No idea what a duplexor is, although duplexers are used in telecom.

SimpleSimon said:
I didn't say 100" (inch) limit, I said 100' (foot), but I know what you meant.

As for that limit, try it without the booster and see what happens - but you already know or you wouldn't have it in the system.

And I think you mean diplexer. No idea what a duplexor is, although duplexers are used in telecom.

Simon I was just waiting for someone to jump on the inch foot thing :rolleyes: in a couple of months I'll be jumping on the mistakes and having a ball but for now I'll enjoy reading other jumpers :D

stratguy said:
Simon I was just waiting for someone to jump on the inch foot thing :rolleyes: in a couple of months I'll be jumping on the mistakes and having a ball but for now I'll enjoy reading other jumpers :D
I wouldn't've bothered - but had to clarify the bit about the booster for the original poster.

Plus, I'm currently on a tear about using correct terminology - while installers and other old hands might know what was meant when an incorrect term is used, newbies and average users could end up getting all screwed up.

OK, finally got some time to check things over and this is what I found. The LMB looks like the same one that I installed with a Dish500 upgrade. There are still the 4 cables coming from it down the roof, 2 - 110's and 2 - 119's. When I installed it, a 110 and a 119 went into a block and then one cable came out going to a tv, for a total of 2 tv's. The blocks are now different in that there are now the 110 and 119 inputs and each block has 2 outputs. One block supplies the feeds to the 510 and the 811. The other goes to the receiver in the kitchen. I only had problems at the newer receivers, never the kitchen. All the connections at these blocks were loose but were not corroded. I tightend them all and so far no more problems. The check switch utility now shows "500 Quad" when done. What was weird was when it was acting up it would show DP44 switch most of the time. ONly time will tell if I got it fixed, but so far so good.

Mike: LNB is correct, not LMB. Sorry, it's just annoying to me.

If there's just ONE "hunk of hardware" on the dish and it has 4 cables coming out of it, then you have a Quad. A Quad is 2 LNBs with a built-in switch - it's NOT 2 cables for 110 and 2 others for 119. If this is the case, I think those blocks are exactly that - ground blocks, and not switches.

LNB is correct, not LMB. Sorry, it's just annoying to me.
Sorry for the typo

A Quad is 2 LNBs with a built-in switch - it's NOT 2 cables for 110 and 2 others for 119. If this is the case, I think those blocks are exactly that - ground blocks, and not switches.
Probably right, installer just used the old cables which are still labeled 110 and 119. I did not watch when he did the conversion to ADD the 510 to my existing installation. The only thing that looks different from original is the blocks have 2 outputs and the additional cable running to the 510. In the previous setup, the blocks DID combine the 110 and 119 signals to one cable. All that aside, I hope the loose connections were causing the problem. I haven't watched much since tightening them, but I have had no problems since.

How can you tell if you have a quad LNB? I have "Dish 500" on my dish but only 2 cables are coming out of it (one for each white thing). Did my original installers just not use the additional hookup or do they not exist?

I am getting the 721 deal and if there is an opportunity to upgrade, I want to do that while the installer is here. I am getting the DP34 to replace my SW21. I have a strange setup as the dish 500 combines to the SW21 and then that run plus the run from my second dish go into my distribution panel (labeled Sat 1 and Sat 2). I can't tell if my panel has a switch built in or not, but I'd imagine it must since that's the only way I could get signals from all three LNBs to my two 301s.

Thanks,

Tweakophyte said:
How can you tell if you have a quad LNB? I have "Dish 500" on my dish but only 2 cables are coming out of it (one for each white thing). Did my original installers just not use the additional hookup or do they not exist?

I am getting the 721 deal and if there is an opportunity to upgrade, I want to do that while the installer is here. I am getting the DP34 to replace my SW21. I have a strange setup as the dish 500 combines to the SW21 and then that run plus the run from my second dish go into my distribution panel (labeled Sat 1 and Sat 2). I can't tell if my panel has a switch built in or not, but I'd imagine it must since that's the only way I could get signals from all three LNBs to my two 301s.

Thanks,
A good source of information on DISH switches and LNBFs. http://www.switchinfo.info/index.htm

Tweakophyte said:

Thanks,
The "each white thing" is the giveaway here. We call "white things" LNBFs. :)
You have 2. Each is either a single or a dual. Because you only have one cable out of each, you can't tell without taking it off the arm and looking to see if there's an unused connector.

HOWEVER, none of that matters. The fact that you have a SW21 means you have "Legacy" LNBFs. You say you're getting a DP34. That's a DishPro device, which means you're getting your LNBFs replaced, too. Ya can't can't mix Legacy & DishPro on the same setup.

Thanks SS. I called the person at dish I am working with for my 721 deal and the upgrade includes the new LNBF. I'll get a DP34, too because I have a second dish.

Now I need to understand if I will then have the infrastructure for that single-line solution dish is working on with their dual-tuner boxes. I forget what they are calling it.

Thanks again,

The infrastructure you mean is called DishProPlus, and the specific device that allows single-line, 2-tuner setups is the DP+ Separator. Unfortunately, it does NOT work with the DP34. Only the DP+44 and the DP+Twin LNBF will drive it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts