Switched from Dish to DirecTV - First Impressions

kovach

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 24, 2006
St. Louis
I switched 5 days ago due to the St. Louis RSN issue regarding Blues games.

A few things I've noticed:
  • My HDMI port now works!
  • I miss my 'All Subs' favorites list. They have something called 'Channels I Get', but it doesn't work. In fact it makes things worse; instead of removing those channels you don't get from the guide, it makes them appear like you do get them!
  • My HD channels do appear a bit sharper now.
  • They have native passthru.
  • They have an option to hide the SD version of channels that simulcast an HD version.
  • They don't have as many HD channels, and a lot less HD movie channels (unless you start to count PPV)
  • They have a ton of shopping and infommercial channels which I doubt anyone watches much.
  • There's a lot less music channels.
  • Receiver actions are a lot slower.
  • No PIP or 2 TV's on one receiver.
  • Installation appears much simpler, fewer cables.
All in all, besides less cables and my HDMI works and I can watch the Blues (lose) again in a slightly sharper picture, I can't say I like it better...

I recently switched from DirecTV about 2 months ago and have pretty much the opposite opinion. While the programming is about the same, I absolutely hate my new 722K

1) The record interface is extremely clunky. With DTV if I want to record a single episode of a program from the guide, I hit the rec button and boom, its scheduled. If I wanted to record the entire series/all episodes, I pushed the button twice. 99/100 that was it. for the rare times that I wanted to edit the specifics (all episodes/new/add time, etc) I could then hit "info" to change any default options. Dish makes me go through the entire search process which annoys the heck out of me.

2) Receiver actions seem slower but thats probably because the remote button placement is very non-intuitive to me.

3) I hate the way the record buffer works. With DTV if I press pause on live tv and then launch a recorded program, the live show will stay paused until the end so that I can switch back later and ff through commercials. With the dish receiver, launching a recorded program stops the pause so I have to actually record the program if I want to see it. (see point 1 for why that annoys me).

4) If I'm watching live tv and press record while in the guide on something about to start, DTV is smart enough to start recording using the other tuner. Dish wants me to change the channel on my current tuner thereby losing whats in the buffer. Granted I can probably press "swap" and try again and make it work (haven't tested that yet) but its still annoying.

All in all, I was much happier with DTV. If I could find anyway out of my 2 year contract without paying the buyout fee I would switch in a heartbeat.

my biggest complaint is the directv box is fricken slooooooooow.. super duper sloooooooow.. interace is a little clunky.. but signal is much better than dish.. rain doesn't phase the dish.. and in florida you get a LOT of rain.. a LOT... really.. did I say a LOT.. a whole friggen bunch! :)

Maybe it's just whatever you're used too...I was with Dish for well over a dozen years.
*nod* probably. I was a DTV customer for about the same amount of time. I just thought of something else I miss...DTV's on-demand system is miles ahead of Dish's.

Oh well, I'm stuck with it. I figure I'll stick with it a year. At that point the buyout fee should be low enough that I won't mind switching back.

*nod* probably. I was a DTV customer for about the same amount of time. I just thought of something else I miss...DTV's on-demand system is miles ahead of Dish's.

Oh well, I'm stuck with it. I figure I'll stick with it a year. At that point the buyout fee should be low enough that I won't mind switching back.

Well I will say you are in the vast minority. Most like E* because the hardware is so much better than D*. For me add in the costs and the added HD and it blows away D*. Would like my three RSN's in 24 hour HD though... instead of two channels.

E*s receivers are well ahead of D's (in my opinion, of course). We have both at work. But you're right, it's just what you're used to.

1) The record interface is extremely clunky. With DTV if I want to record a single episode of a program from the guide, I hit the rec button and boom, its scheduled. If I wanted to record the entire series/all episodes, I pushed the button twice. 99/100 that was it. for the rare times that I wanted to edit the specifics (all episodes/new/add time, etc) I could then hit "info" to change any default options. Dish makes me go through the entire search process which annoys the heck out of me.

That's actually not true (unless the 722k has removed some basic Dish functions, which I suppose is possible):

Go into the Guide, highlight the program and press "select" (the round button surrounded by arrows). In any other Dish receiver, you will get a screen for setting options for a timer to record that program.

PS If your Dish receiver's HDMI port does not work, call Dish Technical Support and they should sent you out a replacement.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)