Switched to Sprint

vodad

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 14, 2005
Well after 10 years with AT&T we finally decided to tell them where to stick it. We ordered a couple blackberrys from sprint today. We should have them by the end of the week.

This was a hard decision to make, but with AT&T screwing up my unlimited data plan and not being able to get it back for the last 8 months I was ready to do something.

Had an iPhone for the last three years and was tired of dropping 2-3 calls a day, not being able to call from inside my house, and delays of an hour or more receiving texts and voicemails. Switched to Sprint in July and took my family with me. For just $20 more per month, each of us has unlimited data and texts, unlimited any-network mobile-to-mobile, nights starting at 7 p.m. instead of 9, and much more reliable network. Also an EVO 4G phone for me.

I miss the iPhone elegant interface, but little else.

Welcome to Sprint. The best deal in wireless, as long as you have coverage where you live.

I was with Verizon for 11 years, and decided I was tired of them, so I signed with Sprint in April of this year, with Blackberries also. Only thing they disappointed me with so far is the Evo tax. Service here in the New Orleans area has been better than Verizon, I was stunned. :)

I am always amazed at how well one wireless service provider works well in a particular area, and how poorly it fares in another. I know a number of very happy AT&T iPhone users locally, but an equally outraged iPhone group in other parts. Likewise, I've read a lot of negative things about Sprint coverage but, to be honest, I have almost no problem with the service in 95% of the areas I live, work and commute. Go figure! Heck, one of my co-workers was showing off his new Motorola Droid this morning...until I downloaded the SpeedTest app and ran it compared to my EVO. He got 384Kb while I got 3.84Mb down. If nothing else, at least Sprint is pushing Verizon and AT&T to move a little faster.

I've been with sprint for a long time. Love them, and when they added any mobile, any time, it was even better, since the majority of the calls I make are to mobiles.

They have decent coverage here in the Austin, TX area.

It looks like they will have service where I live, I too do not have at&t coverage in my house, I have to walk outside to use the phone reliably.

I still need to add a third line, but we want to check out the coverage first before I spend 200 bucks to add the line and get the evo or epic, might have to add a fourth line, but not sure about that yet.

It looks like they will have service where I live, I too do not have at&t coverage in my house, I have to walk outside to use the phone reliably.
As much as I don't have any problems with my Sprint coverage, for my particular use, my house in Virginia is in the middle of a "dead zone". While coverage in the region is very good, I live on a reservoir in my area, which is lower than the surroundings. Phone service works OK a block or two away, and it actually works if you're on the water, but it doesn't work very well on my lot (pictured below). The coverage has been this way for years. It's really not a problem since I maintain VOIP service (and my new EVO actually works better than my old Mogul), but I've often thought it was funny why Sprint would sell service to someone (me) living in a roaming zone and how the coverage hasn't improved in years. To be honest, the problem is due to zoning restrictions and other impairments (i.e., reservoir, population density, etc.)...and Verizon's coverage is no better since they share the same tower.

Attachments

• SprintHouse.gif
    SprintHouse.gif
    20.9 KB · Views: 184
I am always amazed at how well one wireless service provider works well in a particular area, and how poorly it fares in another. I know a number of very happy AT&T iPhone users locally, but an equally outraged iPhone group in other parts. Likewise, I've read a lot of negative things about Sprint coverage but, to be honest, I have almost no problem with the service in 95% of the areas I live, work and commute. Go figure! Heck, one of my co-workers was showing off his new Motorola Droid this morning...until I downloaded the SpeedTest app and ran it compared to my EVO. He got 384Kb while I got 3.84Mb down. If nothing else, at least Sprint is pushing Verizon and AT&T to move a little faster.

I am with you on coverage varying. Many locations providers use the same high point to put up towers. As an example in Minneapolis/St. Paul Water towers are heavily used. I have been at the bottom of a tower and zero reception with one carry and fine with another.

As for signal Strength here Verizon has all beat followed by T-Mo(Metro Only) then Sprint. I have been tempted to look at Sprint myself because of Cost and access to 4G. However, I like my Droid and LTE is launching by years end so phones will following.

I can understand a transfer to T-Mo and Sprint for cost. At&t is baffling to me since call drops happen so much.

Here in Des Moines, TMO is worse than AT&T -- and they don't have the iPhone. Verizon is slightly better than Sprint, but more expensive. And with Sprint we get four lines with unlimited everything (and with unlimited mo-to-mo, virtually unlimited talk, too). Plus phone upgrades after only one year for primary subscriber. I am sure I will see flaws in their armor as I go on, but for now I couldn't be happier with Sprint.

I think us mississippi folks get the best deal+coverage of anyone out there with our privately held company. Cellular South gives you two lines of unlimited talk, text, and data(with no cap) for $59 a line ($79 if you only get one line).
They also have a 500 minute with unlimited data and text for $49.

Plus the coverage is unbeatable. We use verizons network outside of the state, and in the state (plus the memphis area and coastal alabama and florida), Verizon uses Cell Souths.

The main chink in the armor in the past was subpar phones. They are really stepping up on the latest offerings. Android in particular, although they are still behind the big four on releasing them. We did get the Desire a month or so ago, and the Galaxy is coming probably this month. Plus they have the Milestone/Droid and the old Hero. With an assortment of Blackberries and WinMo phones.

Sprint would be the next I would look at from a price perspective, but little coverage here.

Is it me or is Sprint advertising everywhere: Sports (NCAA and NFL football, MLB baseball, NHL hockey and NASCAR) and numerous broadcast network shows on CBS and FOX? It seems like I am seeing 2-3X more Sprint ads than VerizonWireless.

I think us mississippi folks get the best deal+coverage of anyone out there with our privately held company. Cellular South gives you two lines of unlimited talk, text, and data(with no cap) for $59 a line ($79 if you only get one line).
They also have a 500 minute with unlimited data and text for $49.

Plus the coverage is unbeatable. We use verizons network outside of the state, and in the state (plus the memphis area and coastal alabama and florida), Verizon uses Cell Souths.

The main chink in the armor in the past was subpar phones. They are really stepping up on the latest offerings. Android in particular, although they are still behind the big four on releasing them. We did get the Desire a month or so ago, and the Galaxy is coming probably this month. Plus they have the Milestone/Droid and the old Hero. With an assortment of Blackberries and WinMo phones.

Sprint would be the next I would look at from a price perspective, but little coverage here.

Yeah I wish that deal was possible by me. Since my Dawgs have been on the SEC Network over the last few weeks they run the Cellular South ads quite a bit and look to be adding nice Android phones.

Well, it is starting to look like I will not be switching to sprint, when we called there was some question as to the phones where we live, so we ordered 2 lines to make sure it would work with the understanding that we needed at least one more line.

Now I am being told I am not going to be able to get a third line now that we know the service will work. Makes no sense to me. Tried a chat but got no where.

having the wife call tonight to cancel it and send all the stuff back to them.

They don't want your $20/mo for the 3rd line? That's stupid on their part.

I have a share plan with 3 lines on it, no sweat.

Maybe it's time for everyone's favorite game.....

"CSR Roulette".

Last edited:
I have an email in to them, Not sure how much additional a month it would be, we have 2 blackberry's with the data and all that, and our daughter wants some pink samsung phone, not sure which one. I really did not care about the cost.

Looks like I'll be switching from AT&T to Sprint next month.

My AT&T committment is up 11/23. Will I be able to order the phones, port the existing numbers (4 lines), and activate the phones before the committment date, providing I don't cancel the AT&T account until after 11/23??

My AT&T committment is up 11/23. Will I be able to order the phones, port the existing numbers (4 lines), and activate the phones before the committment date, providing I don't cancel the AT&T account until after 11/23??

As soon as you port the numbers your AT&T account should close.

cosmo_kramer said:

I hope the plan works out well for you..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts