Switching from a leased 211 to a DVR

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

JimMcC

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 4, 2004
I currently lease two 211 HD receivers, and I have the HD Absolute package. My monthly bill total is $38.86. Can I switch one 211 to a leased DVR? If so, how does my bill change? The DVR does not have to be HD, because it's hooked up to an analog set. And the second 211 is hooked up to a 1080p projector. Would I be better off switching both to leased DVR's? Would that cost more than leasing one 211 and one DVR? I doubt I would ever record onto the DVR with projector. Thanks.

Well the easiest solution to your setup would simply be to get a 722k DVR. You can hook it up to the projector for HD and get analog to the second TV. As long as its the only receiver on your account the only change to your bill that you should see would be the addition of the $6 DVR fee. The only thing that has me slightly worried is if changing your equipment would make it so that you can't get Absolute HD.

Thanks nsafreak. So the analog set wouldn't have a DVR or any receiver hooked up to it? How do you control it, change channels, etc? I'm thinking it would be better to leave the 211 with the projector, and get a DVR for the analog set. That's where the recording would be done anyway. Would they allow me to swap out the leased 211 for a leased DVR? And since that set is analog, should I just get a standard DVR? I'm very confused about the fees. Thanks.

Instead of paying upgrade fees, just add an External Hard Drive to your account. It is a one time fee of just under $40 and you can view anything recorded on either of your 211's. Also note that the 211 has active outputs which will work on your analog tv.

Instead of paying upgrade fees, just add an External Hard Drive to your account. It is a one time fee of just under $40 and you can view anything recorded on either of your 211's. Also note that the 211 has active outputs which will work on your analog tv.
Agreed...best way to go.

:up +2

$40 to Dish plus about $100 for the EHD and never pay anything extra to Dish again. (Until Dish deceides to raise their prices). Also, both 211's can share the EHD also for no additional cost or buy another EHD for the second receiver.

Now I'm more confused than I was. So I buy an external hard drive on my own? Or does it have to be from Dish? I pay a one time $40 fee to "activate" the hard drive? With the external hard drive, will I be able to watch one channel while I record a different channel, on the same TV? This all started last night, when my wife wanted to watch American Idol, and my daughter wanted to watch another channel. There's no way to do that, even with a VCR in the mix, is there? If there is, I don't need the hard drive. Thanks.

Jim, With the fee it turns your 211's into dvrs but you would still need to watch 1 & record the other... any EHDD that is a single Lun should work to do this, a 211 owner will have to chime in for more...

What does "EHDD" and "Lun" mean? Is there somewhere I can read about adding an external hard drive to my 211K, and also explains how it works, how I use it, etc? What size hard drive can I use with the VIP 211K? Thanks.

Last edited:
I have the VIP211K. I saw a Western Digital on Amazon for $74 shipped. It's a 500GB, USB 2.0, with an AC adapter. I read that I should buy one that's AC powered. Is that what I need? Thanks.

You can get 1TB for $70 by looking carefully. If you are going to get several for archiving, consider a stand for $20-25 and 1TB for near $60 if you watch for it. Almost anything will work but the current price-size sweet-spot is 1TB to 1.5TB. It will get more workout on a 211 than a 722 because you are using it continually.
-Ken

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)