Switching in Seatte? - Tech/Equipment Questions for the Group from a New Customer

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

brokejumper

Original poster
Dec 21, 2003
I am considering switching from cable to Dish in the Seattle area but I had a couple of questions on the equipment and Dish policies that I have not been able to find in various searches.

Right now I am looking at:

- two TV's (at least one must be HD)
- DVR
- Classic Bronze w/ Bronzew HD (the $9.99/month deal)

Here are my questions:

1) What equipment will Dish offer?

I am concerned with the Fischer situation but I know I can get a decent OTA signal here. My understanding from reading the forums is that the 722k with two OTAs would be the way to go in this situation so I could watch and record OTA. Is Dish (or the other resellers) likely to give me a 722k or something older for a new subscriber?

2) What is the maximum cable run from the dish that one can have?

Because of line of sight issues, it may be necessary to have the dish a good distance from the TVs so I need to figure out how far of a cable run I can have before we put in the order.

3) What are the fees/restrictions on switching programming packages?

After the 6 month introductory offer we may want to switch to a different (cheaper) package. Are there any fees associated with this?

4) What question should I ask you all before switching to Dish?

Trying to make a good decision here and the 2-year commitment has me very cautious. What advice would you give me?

I am considering switching from cable to Dish in the Seattle area but I had a couple of questions on the equipment and Dish policies that I have not been able to find in various searches.

Right now I am looking at:

- two TV's (at least one must be HD)
- DVR
- Classic Bronze w/ Bronzew HD (the $9.99/month deal)

Here are my questions:

1) What equipment will Dish offer?

I am concerned with the Fischer situation but I know I can get a decent OTA signal here. My understanding from reading the forums is that the 722k with two OTAs would be the way to go in this situation so I could watch and record OTA. Is Dish (or the other resellers) likely to give me a 722k or something older for a new subscriber?

The 722k is what they've been installing as of late. I think they may be out of new 722s. The free offer for new subs is technically the 722.

2) What is the maximum cable run from the dish that one can have?

Because of line of sight issues, it may be necessary to have the dish a good distance from the TVs so I need to figure out how far of a cable run I can have before we put in the order.

200 feet but longer runs are possible.

3) What are the fees/restrictions on switching programming packages?

After the 6 month introductory offer we may want to switch to a different (cheaper) package. Are there any fees associated with this?

downgrades are $5 but sometimes are waived.

4) What question should I ask you all before switching to Dish?

Trying to make a good decision here and the 2-year commitment has me very cautious. What advice would you give me?

Two years goes by fairly quickly. Just be sure that E* is offering the channels you actually want and watch compared to Directv and your cableco. E* is adding some Viacom channels in HD sometime before April 1, but there is no guarantee that anything else will be added in HD or that anything currently in HD will not be dropped. The Fischer Comm thing will be ongoing until Fischer drops their lawsuit or there is a settlement of it.

I am concerned with the Fischer situation...
The Fischer Comm thing will be ongoing.

That's Fisher, without the C.

BTW: Fisher acknowledged in their 4th quarter conference call yesterday that their lawsuit with Dish is the thing holding back an agreement. So, no KOMO (et al) until the court does something, or the sides make nice again. I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)