Switching to EA dish soon...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

KyDave

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Dec 3, 2003
Kentucky
I will be switching to an EA dish this coming Saturday.

Question for those that have already been through this - how will this affect my timers on local SAT delivered channels?

For example, if I have a timer on my local 36-0 (SD on Western Arc) what channel number will the new HD local be? Does it show as 36-1 or stay as 36-0?

Only change I saw when going from WA to EA was that I no longer have Locals in SD. All channels remained the same. Miss the SD option though as HD locals have the lowest signal quality, on a 1000.4 and during bad weather those are going to be the first to go. When I was still on WA if HD locals dropped I could still get them in SD but now on EA that is not an option. Doesn't really happen that often though.

Got my new dish on Saturday morning, what a beauty! It is the black 1000.4. My installer was very, very good. Could not have been happier and I have to admit this part worried me as you never know who you may get. He ended up being either a supervisor or manager, can't remember which. He installed a new mount as he recommended not using the existing 15 year old mount. Also replaced the wiring from the Dish to the side of house with the double line, rather than the older single stuff I have had since the beginning. (We only use a single 622.)

He took some photos of the old/new mount and was showing me as we waited for the check-switch to finish. Asked him if he could email them and he said SURE! (very nice). He also put little blue footies over his shoes before he came it. :)

One thing I was eager to try was ESPNU. I have read numerous reports here that SD from EA was noticeably better. I made a point to watch it just before the swapout. Well, I have to admit that it really didn't change much. <RANT> I don't understand why they can't dedicate even just a little bit more bandwidth to this channel - ESPECIALLY with their issues getting ESPNU-HD. SD has the potential to look pretty good - I think back to the preHD Survivor days as an example of how good SD can look. Anywho..... </RANT>

The first problem I noticed was that the favorites lists dropped the satellite locals, so I added the new HD equiv back. Not a problem. I peaked at the TIMERS listing screen and as suggested above it looked the same.

It wasn't until Sunday morning when looking at the actual timer schedule for the week that I noticed many missing recordings. It turned out that under the TIMERS list when I selected ANY local channel program that there were no actual upcoming timers. So I ended up having to delete/re-add all the local channel timers. (Not a big deal as I would just hit SEARCH while on the dead timer and then pick the new one from the results) As I did this I noticed the white HD to the right of each listing within the TIMERS list. So just a heads up that - at least for me - a WA/EA swap-out will require rescheduling any local channel timers.

As I was fixing all the local network timers I thought about how easy this was going to be (hopefully!) when the Hopper/PTA come out. (Actually, being HOPPER READY was the main thing that finally got me to get this EA switch done.)

I do have to add that the local HD channels look just as good as my OTA equivalents, at least with my informal back and forth 46" testing. That was impressive. It will be nice to finally have ALL local recordings in HD. I usually have 2 timers for each local show - first the OTA one and then the SAT equiv. Works pretty well as it will try to use the OTA tuner first but if not avail it just automatically takes a sat tuner. So it wasn't unusual to have SD stuff record on a busy recording night.

I think the reason for the need to fix the timers is unless you pick the Dish Pass the timers will look only at the channel you are asking to record from. So even when you have both SD and HD, if you set a timer to record from an SD channel, it will not look to the HD channel. Since you no longer had any of those SD channels, there was nothing for the timer to record.

One surprise I had not anticipated was losing ION-W. Love Criminal Minds and that channel was always handy as an option for viewing. Thought I had read many times that 'EA has everything that WA has'. But sure enough, I found a two year old thread that mentioned it. Honestly, not a big deal just surprised that I had missed this. It's not as if OTHER west channels are missing (if their logic is "Well, it IS setup for EASTERN subs...").

As much as I thought SD was going to be improved (via MPEG4) I have to admit I notice stuff that I don't recall ever seeing on WA. Last night I sat for a few minutes with the kids as they were watching TeenNick (whatever show that has the two stepbrothers) and about a third of the time I noticed really bad smearing/compression artifacts around faces and other movement. I don't recall EVER noticing them as pronounced as they were last night (a sub since '97 w/ WA). But it is not all the time. And HD looks great (ESPN looked really good last night).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts