Taking Dish to Australia

lysergic007

Original poster
Aug 17, 2006
I was wondering if I would be able to take my dish to Australia. I would like to catch college football. I was searching and found a link for Sling. Would it be possable to ship over, hook up, and search for signals? Does it work like that? I would really appreciate the help.

You sure can take it with you!! I think you might be on the wrong side of the equator to see any signals. But you sure can take it with you.

What kind of sat. service is available in Australia? Can you get US sports programming from their sats.? Otherwise you'd be better off connecting it somewhere that it's under control (friend's house?) via Dish Mover and where there's broadband internet available and you continue to pay the bills. Then you can use your sling to access the programming you want from there.

Welcome, BTW...

I had to read your post a couple of times to get what you were asking, because you threw in the sling. No, you cannot get Dishnetwork (Or Direct) much outside the continental United States, much less Australia by taking the dish with you.
However, if you have high speed internet at home here and in Australia, you could use the sling to watch your dish that is here while you are there.

Actually which side of the equator is irrelevant. Since we are dealing with geosychronous satellites, it is a question of longitude (assuming non-extreme latitudes). If Australia were as far south as it is but at a US longitude, it could see the same satellites. Of course, Dish is not (legally) available outside of the U.S.

boba said:
You sure can take it with you!! I think you might be on the wrong side of the equator to see any signals. But you sure can take it with you.

ThomasRz said:
Actually which side of the equator is irrelevant. Since we are dealing with geosychronous satellites, it is a question of longitude (assuming non-extreme latitudes). If Australia were as far south as it is but at a US longitude, it could see the same satellites. Of course, Dish is not (legally) available outside of the U.S.
The biggest problem with your answer is the antennas on the satellite send the signals to a conus beam covering the northern hemisphere. There is no signal being sent to Australia.:)

i had a customer ask once about taking his dish to Peru, It would be an interresting science experiment. However Australia is way to far east to even get the 153 deg sat.

Alvn8r said:
i had a customer ask once about taking his dish to Peru, It would be an interresting science experiment. However Australia is way to far east to even get the 153 deg sat.

Avin8r,

Depends on what you call interesting. If you think its interesting spending 30 minutes trying to get a Signal from a Dish Network Satellite whom's signal can't possible reach the Dish you are trying to point, then yes it would be an absolutely riveting experience.

John

ThomasRz said:
Actually which side of the equator is irrelevant. Since we are dealing with geosychronous satellites, it is a question of longitude (assuming non-extreme latitudes). If Australia were as far south as it is but at a US longitude, it could see the same satellites.

That is not true. Western South America (Chile, Peru) has the same longitude as Eastern U.S., but they cannot receive Dish Network signals either, because Dish signals are spot beam to Conus, with only a little spillover to Mexico and Canada.

That said, I have heard of people in Venezuela being able to receive Dish signals. It's an oil company that gets the signals for its American workers. The dishes are super hugh (30-50 feet). And they need 2 dishes, one for each polarity. But I don't think the OP asked about taking a 30' dish to Australia to receive Dish signals...

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)