Talking to DISH CSR's, what am I doing wrong??

zvogt

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 12, 2003
What on earth is DISH's problem??
I've got a 622 and a DISH 1000 (which I bought from dishstore and installed myself).
I called DISH in the hopes of getting a 1000+ to get the HD locals that became available in my market in July. I figured getting the equipment for free would be a no brainer, since I've been a paying customer of their's since the early 90's, and I've never asked them for an upgrade before, I've always bought my new hardware from third parties.
Anyway, what I was told by the CSR was a joke! She said I could get a 1000+ for $200, or $60 if I agree to a 1 year commitment, but here's the kicker, and I double-checked with her to make sure my hearing was correct.
In what I can only interpret as a "deterent", DISH told me that if I opted for the upgrade, she would turn off the low-def locals that I'm paying for TODAY. And I would be without locals until the highdef ones were turned on after the installation of the new dish.
Plus she wouldn't even schedule an install for the new dish at the time she turned off the low-def locals. They are booked solid for at least two weeks, and I would have to call back in 2 weeks to then schedule appointment, which could then be an additional two weeks in the future, so according to her I would be local-less for at least a month.
Of course shipping me the dish for a self-install was not an option.

What a bunch of jerks.

So what are my REAL options for hitting the 118 bird and picking up my HD locals??
Obviously I'm done dealing with those idiots. I'll take the hit and procure the hardware elsewhere if necessary.

You didn't say which market you are in, but would assume your locals on 118 and would require a dish 1000+. Those dishes are in short supply right now, but you should check with a local installer in your area. If they have one in stock, it shouldn't take much to install it. Marking the pole with current position of your 1000 should put you where you need to be. Then don't go through csr, try for advanced tech support to get it authorized.

If you can't find a 1000+ you can always put up a 500+ and a standalone for 129 - assuming you can tolerate two dishes.

If you can't find a 1000+ you can always put up a 500+
The 500+ and the 1000+ are the same. The only difference is when it is a 1000+, there is an additional bracket with a "dual LNBF"; and some vendors, if not all, give you that bracket when you buy the 500+, so then all you need to do is add a dual LNBF.

Of course, you'll need a 4 orbital location switch (DPP44) to comletely utilize the 1000+.

zvogt said:
What on earth is DISH's problem??
I've got a 622 and a DISH 1000 (which I bought from dishstore and installed myself).
I called DISH in the hopes of getting a 1000+ to get the HD locals that became available in my market in July. I figured getting the equipment for free would be a no brainer, since I've been a paying customer of their's since the early 90's, and I've never asked them for an upgrade before, I've always bought my new hardware from third parties.
Anyway, what I was told by the CSR was a joke! She said I could get a 1000+ for $200, or $60 if I agree to a 1 year commitment, but here's the kicker, and I double-checked with her to make sure my hearing was correct.
In what I can only interpret as a "deterent", DISH told me that if I opted for the upgrade, she would turn off the low-def locals that I'm paying for TODAY. And I would be without locals until the highdef ones were turned on after the installation of the new dish.
Plus she wouldn't even schedule an install for the new dish at the time she turned off the low-def locals. They are booked solid for at least two weeks, and I would have to call back in 2 weeks to then schedule appointment, which could then be an additional two weeks in the future, so according to her I would be local-less for at least a month.
Of course shipping me the dish for a self-install was not an option.

What a bunch of jerks.

So what are my REAL options for hitting the 118 bird and picking up my HD locals??
Obviously I'm done dealing with those idiots. I'll take the hit and procure the hardware elsewhere if necessary.

You're right, it makes no sense to turn-off you digital locals AT THE TIME OF YOUR ORDER.

She had to be telling you wrong. It seems to me that when the installer finished the job and called in to customer service to close-out the work order, then they would turn off your digital locals and turn on your HD locals.

Then again, maybe I'm wrong.

BTW, if you don't like what you hearing from the first CSR, then disconnect and call back. It is always possible the first CSR is inexperienced and/or incorrect.

I'm an installer with DNS and like my job, but there have been several times in all the years I've had Dish that I disconnected with the first CSR when calling about my personal account because I knew he/she was wrong and called back and got a CSR who knew what he/she was doing.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)