Taxes

tribalcardboard

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2012
I just received an email from Dish stating that they would begin passing on taxes for equipment. Nothing was said about how much these new fees would be.

Posted Via The SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Yepp, got the same email. Another fee from Dish. Evidently there is a lease tax on leased equipment that "they have been paying up to this point", so now their customers get to pay it...

If Im forced to lease the damn thing, and pay equipment fee's, it amazes me they gotta charge more. More Dish BS, I guess the recent rcvr fee increases dont cover that...

Seriously?! It is already an extra $14 for a Duo receiver?

Anyone have exactly what the e-mail says?

There is a tax attached for the user to Leasing equipment. This type of equipment (And not something like a Farm Tractor or other expensive equipment) usually has the tax rolled into the lease fee, with payment submitted by the business. Expensive equipment often has the leasee pay the tax separate from the lease fee. I am surprised DISH has not already included that tax.

I just received an email from Dish stating that they would begin passing on taxes for equipment. Nothing was said about how much these new fees would be.

Posted Via The SatelliteGuys Reader App!
Hmm. Taxes? As in sales taxes? If we're not buying, they can't collect sales taxes because technically, there is no purchase.
This is a fee. Not a tax.

Hmm. Taxes? As in sales taxes? If we're not buying, they can't collect sales taxes because technically, there is no purchase.

Technically you would be correct however individual state law may include leased equipment in the "sales tax" law. For example in Massachusetts if I lease a car I still have to pay sales tax on the car, even though I am not purchasing it. Same with that cell phone I got for "free", I didn't pay for it but I must pay sales tax on the retail value of the phone.

Ross

Sent via Tapatalk

Not actually correct. There are many instances of non purchase taxes, Leasing is one of them in some States.

Technically you would be correct however individual state law may include leased equipment in the "sales tax" law. For example in Massachusetts if I lease a car I still have to pay sales tax on the car, even though I am not purchasing it. Same with that cell phone I got for "free", I didn't pay for it but I must pay sales tax on the retail value of the phone.

Ross

Sent via Tapatalk

Ross,

You are totally right.

In Michigan lease payments are completely subject to the state 6% sales tax. Every state is different. Here they refer to it as a use tax. Same thing, different name.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)