TBS HD not in stretch-o-vision?

TNGTony

Unashamed Bengal Fan
Original poster
Sep 7, 2003
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
I don't watch a whole lot of TBS, but I noticed today that during 4x3 commercials on an HD program they had "TBS HD" Pillar Boxes instead of doing what I thought was their normal stretch-o-vision.

This has been the reason I don't watch TBS, TNT (and the other stretch-o-vision networks). Stretch-o-vision makes me change the channel as a reflex action. I have left people's houses when they sit down to a stretch-o-vision movie as the night's entertainment. I just cannot stand stretch-o-vision.

So today when my neice landed on "Madagascar" on TBS I was ready to leave the room and allow her to enjoy her show. The movie was in HD but then the commercials were all in OAR with Pillar Boxes.

So the question: Is this SOP for TBS now? Does TBS still stretch-o-vision their non HD programs?

See ya
Tony

TBS and TNT still suck IMO. Stretch-o-vision is bad but the screen clutter and pop ups are just as bad. I gave up on these two channels over a year ago.

Okay. I was wondering since they actually used "TBS HD" pillar boxes (a la ESPN) during the 4x3 commercials. This is something TNT doesn't do...or at least I haven't seen on TNT.

Okay. I was wondering since they actually used "TBS HD" pillar boxes (a la ESPN) during the 4x3 commercials. This is something TNT doesn't do...or at least I haven't seen on TNT.

TNT's been junkier than TBS for a while now, they really haven't made much progress in the last couple years. What was still is, what wasn't still isn't.

TBS Stop Stretch-O-Vison???

Did TBS stop doing the stretch-o-vision thing? I don't watch it very often, except during baseball and a few Seinfeld episodes I noticed the 4:3 commercials are no longer stretched. Instead they put up their own TBS HD pillar bars (similar to ESPN).

Last edited:
I recently took TBS SD off of my guide because the few things I watch on TBS are in true HD and I do not have to worry about the stretch thing anymore.

The only channel I still have the SD version of is Food Network. We watch Iron Chef America and it is only in SD. I rather watch it in its proper 4:3 format on the SD channel than the stretched version on the HD channel. Especially when they have scrolling text moving across the screen (makes me motion sick reading the text).

I had a thread about this a week or so ago, but today I saw that they still do stretch-o-vision for SD shows like Fresh Prince, but during HD movies and programs they have pillar boxes with TBS HD on their 4x3 commercials.

See ya
Tony

I had a thread about this a week or so ago, but today I saw that they still do stretch-o-vision for SD shows like Fresh Prince, but during HD movies and programs they have pillar boxes with TBS HD on their 4x3 commercials.

See ya
Tony
I should have done a search. I did scroll through a few pages in this folder and didn't notice the thread.

They have improved and imroved enough to where I could remove TBS SD off of my guide.

Sorry to bring back an old thread (I thought it would be better than making a new one...) But I just noticed the TNT zoom.

I'm new to HD (just upgraded this April) and have gotten hooked on old Star Trek series and movies since then.

7/25 I DVR'ed "Star Trek: Insurrection" on TNT HD, and started playing it tonight. Right at the beginning when the Paramount logo came up, the picture was obviously zoomed because the "A Viacom Company" text under the logo was halfway chopped off the bottom of the screen.

This movie was originally 2.35:1 format. But what TNT apparently did was get a SD 1.33:1 copy of the movie (cropped horizontally) and then also zoomed that to horizontally fill a 16:9 picture, cropping it vertically as well. What's left is a picture that's not even full SD resolution, and where people's heads are often part-way off the screen.

Why do that?

It seems that I should have recorded the SD TNT channel instead in this case? Not sure.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)