Tech Chat - What do you want to see?

In addition to a brief demo (keeping in mind many 921 customers do not have a 721), I would also like to see an expected release timetable for features that won't be available at time of release. A number of potential customers are particularly anxious to see a release timetable for features such as JVC D-VHS support and OTA network program guide information. A number of customers will hold off on the 921 until Firewire is either active, or there is firm information on when it will be active.

During the chat, I would like to see one or more slides something like:
Version xxx - January
- D-VHS support for models x
- Programming information for major networks received OTA

Version xxx - April
- 16:9 program guide
- D-VHS support for model y, z (if any others forthcoming)

Future
- Split-screen support for PIP function
- Secondary hard drive support for increased recording capacity
- feature for more distant future

These timetables will probably have a lot to do with whether new customers (who won't see the chat, but will read about it online) will buy the 921, or elect to hold off until the HDTV Tivo is available late next spring. Without these timetables, some customers may just elect to hold off for the HDTV Tivo instead, figuring that "the 921 will be buggy like the 721...Dish makes all these promises about features but they never deliver." Of course, the more reasons people are given to fork over money for the 921 (available HD programming will play a big part too), the less incentive they will have to wait for the Tivo.

In the ideal case, Dish would show demos of some future functionality -- like a brief demo of a future beta release with D-VHS support in action--so customers can see that Dish is actively working on it. Recent delays in the 721 software have not helped to quell anxiety over the question of timely software updates. Some of Dish's detractors have argued that Firewire D-VHS support will never be enabled on the 921. Clarifying the reason(s) for the delay in Firewire support, and a demo of the D-VHS in action might help to quell some of these concerns.

I would also like to see Dish briefly address the question of upgradability, specifically that relating to the potential installation of a second hard drive. The 921 customers will be, on average, more interested in the possibility of expanding the capacity of the product, particularly given it's comparatively limited capacity for HD relative to SD-only models. The ability to add a second 250+Gb disk should be a big selling point for the HDTV Tivo among enthusiasts, and the 921 might be seen as less capable if it lacks upgrade capability. This is not like a $99-$299 SD DVR that many can afford to easily replace for capacity reasons; a $1000 investment is one that most people expect to last for at least several years, so they want to know that are set for the future (and upgradability/expandability is a big part of that).

I too would like to see a second drive option on the 921. A 250GB drive can be found for ~$300 these days, and 25 hours of HD recordings may not be enough. I had emailed dish about this last week, and the response was that they had no plans to support or offer larger capacity drives on the 921. This needs to be reconsidered for the very near future.

I would like to know what the RCA A/V input jacks on the back of the model 921 might be used for. Hopefully, we will be able to record audio/video to the hard drive on the 921.

Also, would the free Superdish offer announced on the last Charlie Charlie chat be extended beyond Jan 2004? And would it include all necessary switches plus installation? Many of us need the DP plus 4:4 switch which would not be available before the current Superdish offer is scheduled to end.

John Quaglino said:
I don't mind a company being forward thinking and saying that they put the ports in the machine just in case a deal can be worked out in the feature that would allow you to offload to DVHS. Be honest about the products intended capabilities.

Problem is that allowing that feature is more of a marketing decision than a technical decision. If the port is there, it probably works so the techs have done there job. The marketing people will make the decision on features and they don't tell the techs anything. Sometimes i don't think they know anything. They focus on the big stuff, not the little stuff.

What is going on with the 2700/2800 upgrade? They keep switching back and forth between versions. When it is all finished will we have local channel mapping or not? They keep giving it to us then taking it away again!

As much as they are wanting for the 921 it would almost be cheaper to buy a computer with a big hard drive in it and use your computer as a Digital Video Recorder. At least you could upgrade it when need be and not have the monthly DVR/VOD fee with it and a new computer to boot.

Stargazer said:
As much as they are wanting for the 921 it would almost be cheaper to buy a computer with a big hard drive in it and use your computer as a Digital Video Recorder. At least you could upgrade it when need be and not have the monthly DVR/VOD fee with it and a new computer to boot.

The problem is that the computer only has one tuner and I want two.

The 921 only has one tv out, not two that I would think they would implement on such an expensive receiver. I have never thought about looking for a two tuner PC PVR though, I wonder if there are any out there.

Everyone here is asking to see the 921. I would imagine it will be incredibly similar to the 721. Personally I'd love to see the 522 in action. I'm curious what it's interface will be like in both "single" and "double" modes. The interface will probably be the deciding factor on what my next receiver will be.

If they have the same interface in the 522 that they have in the 721 then that would be another step closer to influencing if I get a 522 or not.

Stargazer said:
If they have the same interface in the 522 that they have in the 721 then that would be another step closer to influencing if I get a 522 or not.

I have talked to various techs and engineers with Dish and they have all said that Linux software is the future for their newer receivers. I had made the comment that I didn't like the green backgrounds on the 721 and the fact you couldn't have different guide colors for the favorite lists. Personally the green reminds me to much of my original dishplayers that I had to rma several times before I gave up and took a 301 in exchange just to get away from the problems.

All in all I love my 721 , it functions pretty good and does what I need it to do . It could be better and I welcome any software updates to do so.

I am sure they could create an option for different color schemes seeing how even the cheapest DirecTv RCA receivers a few years ago had this feature.

I would think that they would use Linux in all their future receivers (at least the ones with hard drives) if this is the way to go.

Satellite Internet? 811 and older TV's? Locals and SuperD?

I know that Dishnetwork had a bad experience from the Starband product.

I'm wondering, however, if Dish is looking into providing any future Satellite broadband type service in the future? I happen to be in an area that other broadband services are not yet availabe, strange in the Seattle area, but true.

Just wondering what Dish's answer to Directway and other providers might be?

On the 811, I'm wondering about those of us that are thrifty users and will look at purchasing the 811 before purchasing an HDTV.

Currently I have an 27" flatscreen that provides a 16:9 Enhanced mode that looks fantastic with anamorphic DVD's over the component inputs.

Can the 811 component outputs be used to provide an analog, anamorphic picture to the 16:9 enhanced analog TV sets?

This would be a great stopgap until I can budget for a future HDTV set.

Also, how will the superdish be used for locals?

Currently I'm a subscriber that also has the locals package, and there are a few additional stations I can receive if I want a second dish. To keep the "antenna farm" down to a single dish, how would this apply? I saw the proposed promotion on the Charlie chat about doing a years commitment, but it wasn't clear as to what I would receive.

The locals package I'm interested in for example, is the Seattle, Washington stations.

I have a Dish 500, Dish 300 and a switch 64 for a 6000 and a regular 5000 receiver setup. Can I put up a stand alone SuperDish(119, 110 @ 105) up for my 6000 receiver and leave the switch 64 setup for my regular 5000 receiver?

Sure you can, the second Dish (the SuperDish) would be just like having a seperate setup, because thats exactly what it is. :)

This is what I am planning on doing myself.

I am planning on holding out until the DishPlusPro switch comes out. Since it will talk to 4 satellites at once, plus it will not need a legacy adapter for the older recievers.

Thanks Scott, does anyone know how many RG-6 cables will be needed into the house from a SuperDish? I already have 6-RG-6 cables going inside to a switch 64. I did leave room to pull 2 more RG-6 cables, hopefully thats the ticket I need for a seperate standalone SuperDish.

Since the SuperDish is going to have a switch there should not be any additional wires that would need to be ran in the house. The only time you need extra wires run into the house is if you have additional receivers (or the dual tuner 721 at this time).

In the future the two tuner receivers are going to have a special device at the receiver to split out to the two tuners so that would prevent an additional wire for each tuner that would have to be run.

Stargazer said:
Since the SuperDish is going to have a switch there should not be any additional wires that would need to be ran in the house. The only time you need extra wires run into the house is if you have additional receivers (or the dual tuner 721 at this time).

In the future the two tuner receivers are going to have a special device at the receiver to split out to the two tuners so that would prevent an additional wire for each tuner that would have to be run.

Yea, but is it going to be like the SW64 that was recommended to be installed inside the house so it doesn't fail as quickly???

I have been hearing that it is supposed to be waterproof. I figure it will be installed behind the dish with some straps made on the dish (and perhaps a cover for it if moisture needs to stay out in which you could put on the switch on your own if needbe).

Scott Greczkowski said:
...So tell us what YOU want to see Dave and Mark talk about on the next Tech Chat!....

According to this press release from SES-Americom, AMC-15 will have circularly polarized Ku (FSS) band transponders.

Since AMC-15 is supposed to replace AMC-2 at 105 (which E* is starting to use with the SuperDish 105 to enable new LIL and HD channels) and AMC-2 uses linear polarization, will E* have to replace the LNBs in the field when the switch occurs?