Tech help needed - how far can I go between sat and receiver?

asmcbride

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 20, 2005
WV/VA
I'm helping a friend with an install after renovations and he needs to have his dish approximately 150ft-200ft from where the receiver will be. Will I be safe at this distance, without losing signal quality. Or, do I need some device or equipment to boost/amplify the signal, if so, what? thanks in advance.

--mcbride

actually, I think these guys have DirecTV, not DN. I'm not exactly sure what LNBs or what type of dish they have. I'm more familiar with DN, but I figured that the technology of getting the signal from the dish to the receiver was pretty standard. Is there a device that can boost the signal between these 2 pieces of equipment?

Well if its legacy you can go upwards of 500ft +/- 50ft wich I have done before though you may need to amp the line(s).

Dishpro and Dishpro plus should allow you to go further depending on how well the dish is tuned in, the quality of the coax and really the quality of the rest of the componants from the dish up to the receiver. Ive never taken a dishpro line run past 350ft but it will work up to that length, just keep in mind that dish officialy supports 125ft on legacy and 200ft on dishpro/+.

I think the farther the run the more likely you will have with switches and with Even transponders which work on a higher voltage.

I am running 421 feet from Dish to Receivers, with no issues, I loose a couple of points but still get 90+.

Slartibartfarst

I did a run with DPP well over 225' the other day, on a 625 the 119 was at 114. That's the same number I usually get if it's a 20' run. As far as attenuation goes, I didn't see a slight bit of difference.

Here is a nice document that explains how Dish Pro works with long cable runs:

http://www.sonoradesign.com/tipsAndTricksPages/DiskPro/DiskPro_01.html

Basically what it comes down to, the receiver needs -60dBm to get signal from the LNB. On average, LNBs put out -36 dBm. Average cable loss for 100 ft. is 10 dBm on the 2150 Mhz frequency. So do your math and you can calculate if it's gonna work. That is why the quality of the cable is very important. If you use cheap cable the loss will be greater on long runs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)