Tech question for the experts

tawhite

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Feb 24, 2005
The Sunshine State
I have a tech question for the experts here. I am posting this in the Dish forum because this involves a 942 although it may be a similar problem on other brands. Here it is...

I just purchased a Magnavox DVD recorder/VCR combo which has component video inputs. It is one of the few that I have seen that has this type of input in a combo unit. I am trying to run it off the component output from my 942. The problem is the resolution on the 942 has to be turned down to 480i for the combo unit to receive the signal which sucks of course. My solution was to just split the component output to both the TV and the combo unit. If I were to record from the 942 I would just turn the resolution down temporarily.

The problem seems to be when I plug the second set of cables into the component feed the picture gets darker with intermittent streaks going across the screen. My guess is that there is not enough signal to drive two devices on this one component output on the 942. My question is this correct and is there anything that can be done about it? Also, do any of you have any brighter ideas to make this work?

Any help is appreciated.

Tim

If your TV has an HDMI or DVI input, then use that connection for the TV and leave the component on the combo. Both outputs on the 942 will work simultaneously. If your TV does not have an HDMI or DVI connection, you will need a component distribution amp in order to have both the TV and the combo connected at the same time.

So I am right in assuming there is just not enough signal to split the component feeds?

The DVI connection on the TV is currently occupied by a media center with no other decent way to connect it. The MC only has DVI and S-Video.

There is still the HDMI port left on the 942. Maybe there is some sort of adapter to convert that to a component connection.

tawhite said:
So I am right in assuming there is just not enough signal to split the component feeds?
The DVI connection on the TV is currently occupied by a media center with no other decent way to connect it. The MC only has DVI and S-Video.
There is still the HDMI port left on the 942. Maybe there is some sort of adapter to convert that to a component connection.
I don't know whether right or wrong enters into this...but in my experience, it's not a good practice to try splitting a digital signal. Most likely this is the way to solve your problem...
ats7627 said:
If your TV has an HDMI or DVI input, then use that connection for the TV and leave the component on the combo. Both outputs on the 942 will work simultaneously. If your TV does not have an HDMI or DVI connection, you will need a component distribution amp in order to have both the TV and the combo connected at the same time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts