Tech question

joeadt

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 31, 2004
I have a UHF antenna to pick up my digital signals and HD. Fed through the 811 I get ALL my locals. If I hooked up the ant, directly to a tv why can't I pick up the SD channels?? Does the tv need to be UHF? or digital? It is a cable ready and covers the channel numbers of my locals.

Thanks for your help

Best I can say is digital is different from analog. The tuners in TVs aren't very good, and since they're mostly cable ready, they don't usually rely on analog signals anymore.

Best guess, tho..

joeadt said:
I have a UHF antenna to pick up my digital signals and HD. Fed through the 811 I get ALL my locals. If I hooked up the ant, directly to a tv why can't I pick up the SD channels?? Does the tv need to be UHF? or digital? It is a cable ready and covers the channel numbers of my locals.

Thanks for your help
All you need is a regular OTA antenna like a set of rabbit ears. Once you hook up the rabbit ears then put your TV input to antenna and if you are close enough to the stations you can pick up SD and HD channels. Now of course your TV will need to be a HD TV to watch in HD If it isn't you will just see it in SD.

Bob

Make sure you have your TV in antenna mode not cable mode. The frequencies are different (2-12 is the same all the UHF is different).

joeadt said:

Thanks for your help

If your TV has a built in digital receiver you can hook the antenna directly to the TV to receive your local digital signals and HD too if it's an HDTV. Most TV's do not have a digital receiver built in therefore the 811's off-the-air (OTA) receiver is needed or some other manufactures OTA receiver is needed to receive the digital signals.

You can however, as previously mentioned, receive your local analog signals with the antenna hooked up directly to an ANT input on your TV. Your TV should have the ability to select between CATV and ANT or Off-The-Air. VHF channels 2-13 can be received no matter which setting you use but channels 14 and up UHF (ANT) are received on a different frequency than 14 and up CATV.

Your new TV only has an NTSC tuner, which means it can only decode analog signals from your antenna. You need an ATSC tuner to decode digital signals, SD and HDTV. Your Dish 811 incorporates an ATSC tuner, which is why I bought one for my HDTV monitor. If you want to decode DTV signals from your antenna you must either hook up the antenna to your Dish 811 or buy a DTV STB for about $500.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)