Temporarily suspending account

Allin4greeN

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 13, 2005
Lancaster County
I'm going to be moving (really truly moving) within the next couple of months so, I'd like to suspend my account until I've got the finances under control and know where I'm at. Can anyone provide some input on the process?

From what I've read, I can suspend service for a maximum of 6 months. Is this correct?

I've had HD/AEP since becoming a customer about 5 years ago, and my leased equipment includes a 211 and a 622. I've been on auto pay for a couple of years and I'm fairly certain my account is in excellent standing.

I may want/need to suspend for 3 or 4 months. Are there any fees associated with a temporary suspension? Any other pitfalls?

TIA

Last edited:
if you lease the equipment its $10 per month if you own its $5 per month but if you are under a contract you cannot pause your service

if you lease the equipment its $10 per month if you own its $5 per month but if you are under a contract you cannot pause your service
Thanks, I'm not currently under contract.

I guess I can live w/$10 per month, although it seems a bit steep for not having any service... I imagine it's a fee to keep the account active?

Just out of curiosity, why not cancel your account and set up new service at your new address when you're ready?

Just out of curiosity, why not cancel your account and set up new service at your new address when you're ready?
I just got off the phone with an E* CSR and discovered (oops) that I forgot about a 211 upgrade that I did last year, in September. I still have 5 months on the commitment so, I'd have to pay $13.33 x number of months left on the commitment to cancel = ~$60.00. My other option would be to downgrade to DishFamily $19.99 (+tax)/month + $6 HD enabling fee + $12 lease fees = ~$40.00/month. I specifically asked about a downgrade fee and was told there would be none. Although... one can never be too sure.

Now all I have to do is figure out which option, canceling or downgrading, would be cheaper over several months.

If I canceled and came back to E* after a few months, would I be treated as a new customer? My concern is that I'd end up paying a lot more $$ to get the same equipment I have now, than I would by just keeping the account active with DishFamily.

you would have to wait 6 months before you can sign back up as a former customer promotion! it may be cheaper to cancel then to sign back up as a new customer promotion -- just use your wifes name

you would have to wait 6 months before you can sign back up as a former customer promotion!...
Many thanks for the replies. Sounds like it might be worth it to cancel and live without the pixels for a few extra months... is there anywhere I can find info on former customer promotions, or do they vary from month to month?

Just to help clarify my situation, I'm in good financial standing but, in order to keep it that way I'm looking at several budget cutting measures to help me weather a temporary unemployment situation that could last for several months. Cutting back on the "luxuries" like my HDTV is one of those measures... as much as it pains me to do it :eek:
...it may be cheaper to cancel then to sign back up as a new customer promotion -- just use your wifes name
I still have to find one of those... anyone know where I can pick up a good new or reliable used model? :D

i think this is how the former customer promo works

1 must be canceled for at least 6 months
2 must have left in good standing
3 do not have any leased equipment in your position
4 requires $49.99 activation fee (and i dont think you get it back under this promo)
5 requires 18month contract

i may be wrong but i think think this is how it works!

Thanks for this!
i think this is how the former customer promo works.
Painful, but doable...
Definitely not a problem...
<sigh> I so do not want to give up my 622...
4 requires $49.99 activation fee (and i dont think you get it back under this promo)
Not bad at all...
Since I'm not interested in leaving E*, no biggie...
Again, thank you for this. It helps to have some idea of what may be available before contacting an E* CSR ;)

Blueman's post about pausing your account is absolutely correct. The only thing I'd add is that you can only use the pause feature once per rolling calendar year, unless you're a snowbird who maintains multiple residences.

Will you be between homes for this 3-4 month period? If so, I'd strongly recommend you pause the account (as former customer promotions can always change, and if you cancel, you'd be out $50 to restart anyway - in addition to losing your current HD-DVR).

If you're going to be moving straight from your old place to your new, I would suggest the following instead.

If I had to guess, you're paying something like $101/mo before taxes (assuming you have your locals and no warranty). If you don't want to give up your equipment, you could drop your programming to, say, DISHFamily with no locals and keep just your 622.

Then, use the DISHMover program to get a new dish installed at your new place. (Actually, I'd recommend making the programming changes after scheduling the Mover order. This way, you'll get the 1000.2/1000+ dish you'll need later installed for free as part of the Mover's.)

This way, you could return the 211 (which, with the account status you mentioned, should not be a big problem to get back for $0 after mail-in bonus on DIU). You'd just have $19.99 for DISHFamily and $5.98 for the DVR service fee (you don't pay that now because you have AEP).

It's a little more expensive than using DISHPause, but you'd have *some* TV service, plus you'd keep your DVR while reducing your monthly bill by about $70-75 while you get settled. There is a one-time $5 fee anytime you downgrade programming, but that's not a big deal, I would imagine.

Then, when you're ready, you could kick back up to the AEP+HD, and do the DIU for another 211 (or even 622/722, if you wanted - though neither would be free after mail-in bonus).

Hope this helps - and congrats on the new home.

...You'd just have $19.99 for DISHFamily and $5.98 for the DVR service fee (you don't pay that now because you have AEP).
Argh... I forgot about the DVR fee... I will be in between homes but, have no idea as to how long just yet.

I'm actually closer to $120/month before taxes, which is why I'm looking at reducing the expense a bit. So if I went with DishFamily at $19.99 with just the 622, I'd incur the $6 HD enabling fee, $5.98 DVR fee, and the $6 lease fee... $37.97 (+tax). With just the 211 it would be the same, minus the DVR fee... $31.99 (+tax), and with either I pay a $5 downgrade fee. Well, it's still a savings of ~$100/month...

Since I'm located in the NE, I don't think I can use the D1000's to pick up 61.5, which I'd need for HD.

Damn fees... anyone want to buy a nice used HT? :D

So if I went with DishFamily at $19.99 with just the 622, I'd incur the $6 HD enabling fee, $5.98 DVR fee, and the $6 lease fee... $37.97 (+tax).

I forgot about the HD enabling fee. Sorry about that. However, you don't pay any lease fee for the primary receiver on an account. Since you'd only have 1 receiver, subtract $6 from your total.

Since I'm located in the NE, I don't think I can use the D1000's to pick up 61.5, which I'd need for HD.

The need for 61.5 depends on where in the NE you are, but the same concept still applies for doing the Mover's. If you go to have the 2nd dish (or the D1K) put on after downgrading the programming, instead of doing the Mover's before, you would get hit with a charge for the dish. (For example, adding the D1K would be either $59.95 with an 18-month commitment or $199.95 without the commitment.)

Last edited:
...The need for 61.5 depends on where in the NE you are, but the same concept still applies for doing the Mover's. If you go to have the 2nd dish (or the D1K) put on after downgrading the programming, instead of doing the Mover's before, you would get hit with a charge for the dish. (For example, adding the D1K would be either $59.95 with an 18-month commitment or $199.95 without the commitment.)
Good to know, thanks!

i think this is how the former customer promo works

With all those rules and provisions, it must be one hell of a promotion to come back ! I think I'd just go to Direct and get 4 rooms worth of free equipment and free installation.

With all those rules and provisions, it must be one hell of a promotion to come back ! I think I'd just go to Direct and get 4 rooms worth of free equipment and free installation.
It's a good suggestion... After looking at the numbers, if I can get a good installation/start-up deal as a returning customer (was with D* about 6 years ago), my monthly programming costs would be about the same (after anticipated promo period of 6-12 months).

have you any friends without cable or satellite, relocate boxes there temporarily, they can give you some money, thats a possible option as long as all boxes are at your friends

You need to be very careful if you are still under contract. I did the same thing a few years ago by putting our account "On Vacation" for six months. The rep said it would cost me $5 a month so we went ahead and did it.

A month later we got a bill for $500 on our AXEX card. Long story shortened, the rep was wrong.

It took us about 100 phone calls over a nine month period, letters to DISH and the retailer who installed the equipment to get our money returned, even thought I had the reps name and they admitted it was their mistake.

What a nightmare.

Be very careful.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)