Temporary Dish disconect or cancel?

KingsFan

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Aug 4, 2005
I just found out today that I may have to take a temporary job assignment in another state. My employer would be putting me up in temporary housing so I wouldn't need dish service for that time. I've been told it could last anywhere from 4-8 months. I should find out in a week or two if I'm going for sure.

What should I do with my Dish service? I don't want to pay for it if I'm not going to be home to use it. Should I cancel my account and just call to re-sign up when I return? What fees if any would be involved in this? Are there any other options? I'm assuming I wouldn't qualify as a new customer either way so I'd like to keep my eligibility for any upgrade offered for the 921 if/when they swap them out for MPEG4 receivers.

Dishnet has a vacation thing where your account costs like $5 a month until you return, not sure how it goes.

Sure you can cancel anytime if your outside the standard 18 month contract that starts from the minute the DNS installer closed your work order as complete. Breaking any contract these days has some type of monetary penalty you have to pay in order to get out $240 plus an additional $15 for each receiver for each month you still have it without service not to mention the installation fee applied when you restart your services that requires a tech to personally obtain your signature in order to restart services stating you agree to installation fees. Your looking at about $500 to do what your requesting.

What I would do is downgrade to the minimum Dish Latino package at 29.99 a month with no fee even if you dont understand spanish and ride that out and upgrade your services back to what they were when you get back home. My way, your looking at about $100 or so wich is probably equal to a little over a months of your current bill.

Thats just what I would do.

Good point, and I really don't have problems with E* giving a contract to the customer, it's the somewhat unethical retailers that pin contracts on top of the contract that I find dirty ;)

I'm not under any commitment so there wouldn't be any early cancel fee. I figured there would be some sort of re-connect fee but $500?

if your not breaking a contract then disreguard $500 for early out, non returned equipment, and re-install fees.

call dish up and do some math on what would be cheapest to do. pay an install fee or downgrade and continue service for 29.99 a month. I would definatly ask about the $5 a month vacation plan and see if it extends past a 2 month period because that would definatly be the option, I never heard of it tho.

If you are under a lease, Digital Dynamite,Digital Home Plan or Digital Home Advantage you must return the equipment to DISH Network they own it. If you own your equipment you can put it on seasonal disconnect for $5/Mo. for a maximum of either 4 or 6 months.

I recently did the seasonal downgrade for about 3 or 4 months while my house was under construction. It kept my account active for $5 a month. I believe you can do it for up to a year. The caveat is that if you have somethin on your bill they don't offer anymore (like distants or the $1.99 warranty) you will lose them.

The thing that was a pain was trying to find a CSR that knew this even existed. After dealing with several reps from overseas, I finally went to Tech Support instead of account services on the voice mail and got someone who did it in about 5 minutes.

so when you cancel, you have to remove the dish? or will they come do it for you? do you have to pay? Sorry i am new to this, and am reading all the threads.

illusion123a said:
so when you cancel, you have to remove the dish? or will they come do it for you? do you have to pay? Sorry i am new to this, and am reading all the threads.

Dish Network will rarley ever remove the dish even on request, the main reason for this is if its mounted on the roof they risk damage claims, if anything Dish Network will remove the LNB from the front of the dish itself

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)