texas locals

damon

Original poster
Sep 23, 2007
my first post, so here it goes.
I been reading the threads on 'moving' and was wondering if anyone can tell if I will get the san antonio,texas hd locals if I move from laredo, texas.

I have dish 500 and get 110, 119 and 61.5. I have the everything pack with HD. Would appreciate the info, thanks

thanks for the info, appreciate it. I found that dallas, and houston have all 4 hd but they are on 110, would that be a problem? where can I find out what my orbitals are? oklahoma city is on 119, would i need to make any adjustments?

Dallas and Houston are spotbeams off of 110, too. I'm in Austin, and the Houston spotbeam was not good for me. Dallas is much better.

I dont think 129 is a good solution for Laredo, as i think Laredo is outside the supported footprint for 129.

I suggest you go to the Point Dish menu option, (Menu -> 6 -> 1 -> 1) and select Sat 110, and transponder 4 for Houston, or transponder 31 for Dallas.

You can go with San Antonio on transponder 25, however like jmjunkin stated, you would not get NBC.

go with the city that gives you the strongest signal strengths.

So if I live in Buda, I can move the orbital to San Antonio and receive their locals if the signal is strongest? I've bought a few OTA antennas with little success and am willing to try anything to receive the locals in HD as I am a big college and nfl fan.

you'll def get SA locals if you 'move' to SA. this means no longer using your Buda service address, and instead changing it to an SA service address with E*. you'll automatically start receiving SA 's HD locals instead of Austin's SD, once/if you do that. keep in mind that E* does not provide NBC HD for SA, so you'd only get ABC, CBS and Fox at this time. you can check your signal strength for SA on sat110 tp25, but it is is very strong for me in Austin.

do I have to provide a bonafide address or can I just pick a street and any number. Also, any problem with the fact that I must have a phone line connected?

I wouldnt advocate willingly getting something new off of 129. I personally think its worse than 110 and 119. For the OP and Buda poster, Houston SA, and Dallas locals are on 110.

I wouldnt advocate willingly getting something new off of 129. I personally think its worse than 110 and 119. For the OP and Buda poster, Houston SA, and Dallas locals are on 110.

He's probably out of the Houston and Dallas beams if he's around Laredo. But is in the beam for San Antonio.

yes, I checked the signal strength on the transponders and I did not get anything from dallas or houston, but got a very strong signal from san antonio. any advice on the address question?

yes, I checked the signal strength on the transponders and I did not get anything from dallas or houston, but got a very strong signal from san antonio. any advice on the address question?

i'd make sure you keep your billing address as it is. also suggest you change to email billing, rather than paper bill - the less mail from E* going to SA, the better.

as far as picking an address there are various thoughts on this on this forum - two opposing views - you're doing something 'illegal/unethical', or 'who cares?'

some say if you use an address of some random house, that anyone living in that house might not be able to get E* in the future. i dont buy that, as names are diff, but i dont know for sure.

others advocate finding an address that would actually be a business.

i took a slightly diff tack that worked for me but maybe not for you. I 'moved to' a street that i used to live on in Dallas, where the street numbers ended at 7050 Main St, and I used 7052 Main St. Just an idea, but keep in mind that E* uses an address validation tool to make sure the address exists. it is not 100% accurate, but checks against the Postal database for glaring errors. Its purpose isnt to 'catch' movers, just eally to make sure that installers and mail can get to a valid address.

last point to consider in moving...you're going to figure out what to do if you need a service call. your service will now be located in SA, as far as E* knows...

HD local w/o OTA would be nice but...

I have lurked the Dish forums here for a couple years now.... All this talk about HD locals encouraged me to register and post.

I too am a central Texan - (for the poster from Buda) I use to live in Buda but now live in Lockhart area. I have been very frustrated about not getting Austin HD locals from Dish.

Oddly enough I even get the San Antonio locals in SD... I called Dish and said - if I get San Antonioo SD locals then why am I not getting their HD counterparts? The female voice with a THICK accent on the other end said she didn't know - but I didn't qualify for SA HD locals... It makes no sense.

Anyway, it seems that giving a false address is more than a little bit unethical. I want HD locals as bad as the next guy but how do you justify this?

My OTA signal is prone to signal loss. I can be 100% one second and zero the next. Believe me I want HD locals through Dish - andone know of a more ethical way?

Mat

Can the 722 use legacy equipment for HD?

Dish 222 L3.02 Software Release Notes

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)