The 1000.2 is easier to aim for WA

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

hdflsts2002

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jul 1, 2008
I have seen this sentiment many times in the forums. Can anyone give me a rational reason for this statement? I personally have never seen a difference. Both dishes use the same AZ/EL/SK settings. The only difference I have ever noticed is that I can peak the .4 a little better but that in my opinion is because of the fine tuning cam and adjustment rod allowing for very minimal adjustments in AZ and EL. The only other difference between these two Dishes is the size of the reflector with the .4 being slightly bigger which in theory should allow for a slightly stronger signal.

Last edited:
The 1000.2 is easier to aim because you just swing it into place and fine tune by hand. The 1000.4 requires use of the azimuth cam and elevation rod to peak. Can take a (slightly) longer amount of time for the inexperienced. Especially if they're having to read the instructions on how they work.

Otherwise if you have experience, of course either one is a piece of cake.

But that is my point as to why the .4 should be no harder. You can tune and peak them both by hand. Loosen the elevation lock nuts and adjust the elevation by hand leaving the elevation rod out of the picture if you like and same with azimuth, you don't have to use the azimuth cam if you want to do it by hand. Both these features only make it easier to do very fine adjustments if you so care to otherwise both dishes are aimed the same.

Yes but the 1000.2 can be peaked without fine tuning whereas that is not the case with the 1000.4. It's all just a matter of semantics. However as I previously stated for inexperienced users the 1000.2 is easier (quicker) to peak. Also, 1000.2 WA is even easier than 1000.4 EA. EA is a little more tricky. Also, 1000.4 is just physically bulkier, tad easier to bend than 1000.2.

I have never used the azimuth cam on the 1000.4 but do use the elevation rod.

The 1000.2 is easier to aim because you just swing it into place and fine tune by hand. The 1000.4 requires use of the azimuth cam and elevation rod to peak. Can take a (slightly) longer amount of time for the inexperienced. Especially if they're having to read the instructions on how they work.

Otherwise if you have experience, of course either one is a piece of cake.

Yes but the 1000.2 can be peaked without fine tuning whereas that is not the case with the 1000.4. It's all just a matter of semantics. However as I previously stated for inexperienced users the 1000.2 is easier (quicker) to peak. Also, 1000.2 WA is even easier than 1000.4 EA. EA is a little more tricky. Also, 1000.4 is just physically bulkier, tad easier to bend than 1000.2.

Peaking/Fine tuning, what's the difference other than term? As to aiming you swing them both into place by hand, with the .2 peaking/fine tuning is done by hand .4 either by hand or using azimuth cam and elevation rod which will allow for more granular tuning/peaking. I'll give you that the .4 has a bigger reflector which would allow it to bend with less stress but that difference is minimal, with the larger reflector though in theory you would reflect more signal. At roughly a 2" difference again this is going to be minimal. Now I really don't understand where you were going with the comparison between aiming .2 WA and .4 EA. My initial question was could anyone give me a technical reason why so many times I have seen the statement that .4 WA is harder to aim than .2 WA. For initial aiming I can see no technical reason one would be easier to aim than the other and when it comes to peaking the .4 provides tools to allow for much finer adjustments which should allow for optimum peaking.

I can't speak for 1k2 wa but 1k2 ea is a sloppy mess in my area. The polar plate flexes so much because the extra hardware used to secure it to the backing cannot be used. If the mount isn't completely level, a passing limit scan is out of the question. The reduced weight compared to the 1k4 is welcomed though.

They are not interchangeable between dishes. I believe the only difference however is in the mounting.

When peaking 1k4 I averaged 8 points signal strength higher than 1k2. I like the latter due to being able to hit my required sig strength easier. Lot less sign fails for 1 transponder being to low by 1 point- that actually never happened with 1k4 but does often enough on 1k2.

But we don't get 4's in my area no longer.

There must be some difference in the internals as when you run a check switch it does say either 1k2 or 1k4 so something in the switch there is causing it to identify itself, however they bother are DPP and both shoot 110/119/129 so I would think that in your test either should yield the same results.

The focal point between the two dishes is different for the WA assembly however I have seen people modify the 1k.2 LNB for usage with the 1k.4 just by simply removing the tab that blocks the 1k.2 LNB from attaching to the 1k.4 bracket.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using SatelliteGuys

The focal point between the two dishes is different for the WA assembly however I have seen people modify the 1k.2 LNB for usage with the 1k.4 just by simply removing the tab that blocks the 1k.2 LNB from attaching to the 1k.4 bracket.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using SatelliteGuys
Turns out what I'm going to be trying on the Primestar dish is a dish 1000 LNB setup and the plastic holder for it fits the arm of the primestar perfectly by just drilling 2 small holes into the metal arm of the primstar dish. We will see what the difference is and if it works maybe Sun or early next week.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)