the "200 ft" rule - and DP33 versus DP34

MikeInAlaska

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 31, 2009
Wasilla, AK
How far can you push the 200ft rule, where the cable between DishPro LNB and Receiver should not exceed 200 ft?

With the legacy stuff I have run out to 300 or 400 ft certainly. Does cable quality and connector quality play into this? (I used all nice 3ghz swept Belden 1694 with nice Canare connectors.)

Is DishPro less forgiving? Is the 200 ft rule more serious now?

Finally

How does one make the decision between buying a DP33 or DP34 switch?

Thanks,
Mike in Wasilla

get a DPP33 switch

the 33 is DishProPlus so if you have a dual tuner setup you only need one cable (and the separator)
The DP34 you need one line per tuner....so a dual tuner needs two lines

legacy equipment is supposed to only be good for 150', although I have a 250' plus run with legacy lnb's and rg11 cable and it works o.k. with marginal signal loss.

the problem you can have with long runs is voltage drop which will cause switching issues, rg6 uses a 18 gauge conductor where as rg11 uses a 14 gauge conductor which should limit voltage drop.

I would think dp equipment would be more forgiving then legacy, although 400' sounds excessive for any install without some sort of power inserter or at least rg11 cable.

Some research is required, but I seem to remember that a DPP 44 will act as a repeater effectively doubling the distance when used in the middle of a run.

DPP33 switch versus DPP44 switch

I need to pick up one of these.

Why would the 44 need power insertion where the 33 does not?

I assume both of these will work fine with DishPro LNB?

Thanks again
Mike in Wasilla

merged threads together

the 33 does not (that I'm aware of) need a power insertion...the 44 does

both work with DP LNB's..

Thanks again !!!!

I dont know what I'd do without this site. The local vendors seem to be pretty bad up here. I guess I understand - they've got steady business through their normal channels and dont have time for some DIY guy. They seem to have exact "prescriptions" also they use THIS piece and THIS part and THIS piece and cant really discuss anything outside that.

Thanks, interesting stuff. If the DPP 44 is a range extender as well, that is definitely what I want.

I am not sure what the amperage is on a DPP 44..But the voltage means nothing.
It is the curent or ampergae the device uses to operate that is the key.
The additional current required to power a DPP44 may very well allow extended runs of cable.
I would recommend solid copper conductor cable for any extended runs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)