The Americans..FX

KAB

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 20, 2005
Fishers, IN
Could not go past the first fifteen minutes of "Tusk Torture".

I thought the show was great. I really like that it's set in a time period largely ignored by TV and movies.

I'm definitely going to keep watching.

Show was good started slow and got better as it went along,I will give it a few more episodes and go from there :)

It did start slow but it once it got going it turned our very good. I really hope they focus more on the spy/fbi angle, but i have a feeling they will push the struggle between the couple more. :(

I liked it,will watch a few more episodes.I do agree with kab on the too much tusk though.The music improved after the first 12 minutes,then they ended it with more tusk.Hopefully that isn't their theme song week to week.

Could not go past the first fifteen minutes of "Tusk Torture".

I thought the Tusk thing was odd, but I couldn't get past the first 15 minutes for other reasons. I was just confused if I was supposed to be rooting for commie spies or the g-men, and neither side presented me with a likeable character to get behind. Show and timer deleted. Thank god for Continuum, Arrow, and Being Human.

I liked it enough to watch it again. That, and Keri Russell's butt. ;)

I watched it and I liked both of the "American" characters played by Kerri Russell and Matt Rhys from Brother's & Sisters. I just feel that the show is a little sad . Looking back on 1980 or 81 when it is supposed to be where they are living, a whole lot has changed in our country.

Back then a woman could stay home or choose to work ,while the man earned enough to support the entire 4 person family + a dog if they wanted. Now it takes two just to make ends meet , month to month. Back then we had a space program that everyone looked up to and the country had pride in it. Now the shuttle program is in mothballs and in museums and no real plans to do anything in the near future. Back then we had strong union jobs and a person could get a manufacturing job with just a high school education and earn a middle class life. Now you can have a 2 or 4 year degree and end up working in a Walmart making a little more than minimum wage. OF course this was all before we had a"global economy" or NAFTA and we were a pretty much closed economy where we competed with just ourselves. Now we compete with all of the world and low waged workers working for pennies a day. Back then we had low deficits and now we have deficits as far as they eye can see.

I was just getting started in a management job in 81 and now I am retired from the state of Texas with a pension and working a security job to supplement my income , making strangely what I made back when I worked at Safeway doing the management job ,except it is now 32 years later. Back then it was all about the promise of a great life and looking forward to what it would bring and now it is all about trying to get out of all debts and trying to get to the end and saving for retirement.

I don't know if I will keep watching this show ,because I know how it will end. The Americans won the cold war when the Soviet Union fell apart in 91. But the real question is : At what cost did we win it and what did we really win? I think it cost us all, much more than we are willing to admit.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)