The challenge of RVing with dish

grc

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 5, 2019
USA
We've talked before about the challenge of using Dish with a tripod when RVing - the focus on aiming the dish. I have a different sort of issue. We're in a place that won't allow anything on the grass, I my tripod is set up on the concrete pad. It is anchored by a 5 gallon bucket of water plus two concrete blocks. That's enough to handle most wind conditions. However, last night we had 40+ mph gusts that were moving most anything that wasn't tied down. We lost our satellite signal and I went out to check. The dish was still standing, but the wind was so hard it was moving the tripod. I had it anchored enough that it wasn't blowing over, but it was moving a bit.

I just laid it down for the night, then this morning I set it back up again.

Such is life out here living the dream.

We've talked before about the challenge of using Dish with a tripod when RVing - the focus on aiming the dish. I have a different sort of issue. We're in a place that won't allow anything on the grass, I my tripod is set up on the concrete pad. It is anchored by a 5 gallon bucket of water plus two concrete blocks. That's enough to handle most wind conditions. However, last night we had 40+ mph gusts that were moving most anything that wasn't tied down. We lost our satellite signal and I went out to check. The dish was still standing, but the wind was so hard it was moving the tripod. I had it anchored enough that it wasn't blowing over, but it was moving a bit.

I just laid it down for the night, then this morning I set it back up again.

Such is life out here living the dream.
In 11 years of full time rv'ing, I had to reset my dish up one time after a spring storm came through. It was on a tripod with tent stakes into the ground. The dish just turn on the tripod. That wasn't my biggest problem though. The same storm laid a 45' tree on the roof of my 5th wheel right above my bed/head. Talk about hit the floor quickly.

I always used two 5 gallon buckets filled about 2/3 full of water hung from the tripod base with double bungee cords so the buckets were just off the ground. I found the double bucket was more tip-proof. I never staked to the ground because things like wires and water pipes that can be there. And quite often we were on concrete or asphalt. Turning in the wind is better than falling down and bending the arm or the dish.

Once you get used to the signal angle, which is 15 degrees above the centerline of the dish, you will find you can locate the tripod far closer to the RV than you think. Many will think you are shooting thru the RV. Close to the RV may give you a wind break.

Reactions: harshness
I always used two 5 gallon buckets filled about 2/3 full of water hung from the tripod base with double bungee cords so the buckets were just off the ground. I found the double bucket was more tip-proof. I never staked to the ground because things like wires and water pipes that can be there. And quite often we were on concrete or asphalt. Turning in the wind is better than falling down and bending the arm or the dish.

Once you get used to the signal angle, which is 15 degrees above the centerline of the dish, you will find you can locate the tripod far closer to the RV than you think. Many will think you are shooting thru the RV. Close to the RV may give you a wind break.
But not close enough to hit the RV if the wind blows it over. Onour maiden trip in a new motorhome this happened. It left a 3' scratch in one of my compartment doors.

• Sad
Reactions: TheKrell
In 12 tears of RV'ing with our tripod mounted dish it's been knocked over just once. It was anchored with two ground screw "dog ties", but that wasn't enough when an off-leash dog chased a deer into it. Fortunately, it fell on the grass with no damage done. I have set the dish up in the lee of the motorhome a few times when high winds were forecast. When the dog ties aren't practical, I use a single 5 gallon bucket about 3/4 full of water.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)