The end of annual programming?

bobd

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
MINNEAPOLIS MN 55418
Was just over at dish network.com and looked at the at packages and saw they removed the annual price for a year. Do you think something is about to change.

Hmm....

Interesting.

I don't think the annual was a big deal.

You got 1 whole month free, whoopie.

I'm surprised it's gone though, the annual was another way for dish to keep customers, because there were no credits for terminating service prior to your 1 year

Some other changes that hasn't been talked about:

AT60+ now includes locals in the price (ie you cant get AT60+ without locals)

BFG said:

Really? I just looked, and the Basic packages and Premium packages all show up as $5 more with locals.

Wouldn't be fair any other way, for those that don't have locals provided by E*.

BFG said:

Ummm. Not quite.

"If you do not qualify for local channels, or you elect to not pay the cost of the required antenna upgrade, your price for America's Top 60 Plus without local channels will be $31.99 per month." (Red text just above the monthly price)

I noticed that I was getting LILs which I didn't want because I pick them up (in HD) OTA. So, I called, and the CSR told me that with the plan I'm on, they are automatically thrown in at no additional cost to me. He said this was in an effort to better compete with cable.

Although the annual pricing has been removed from the web, the CSRs seem to still be honoring it (at least for now). I've been an annual customer with the AT180 package for a couple of years now. I just called to change to the annual AT120 package and the CSR put it right in without any problems.

chaddux said:
"If you do not qualify for local channels, or you elect to not pay the cost of the required antenna upgrade,
Two IFs that don't include 'if you elect to not subscribe to locals'. It isn't enforced yet, but it appears that the bailouts are not being able to get the channels - not not desiring the channels.
chaddux said:
your price for America's Top 60 Plus without local channels will be $31.99 per month."
JL

justalurker said:
Two IFs that don't include 'if you elect to not subscribe to locals'. It isn't enforced yet, but it appears that the bailouts are not being able to get the channels - not not desiring the channels.
JL

I didn't say anything about a customer not wanting locals. I was just showing that BFG's blanket statement was not entirely accurate. AT60+ can be had without locals.

i have top 180
extacy
superstation pack
dns locals
they said i could pay for 180 and extacy through annual payment
but superstation pack dns locals and additional reciever fees
i would have to pay for every month
all in all i stand to save roughly 125 a year buy paying annual
but i almost fainted when they said my next bill would be 1200 usd

Stargazer said:
If they do away with the annual then they are doing away with one of the benefits they have over DirecTv.

Yeah,

Many long term subscribers will switch to DirecTV.

I would. I've been a six year long term subscriber to Dish. I just hate monthly bills. And, I hate "Credit Card Auto Pay!" They charge first. You'd have to pay and then contest any unwarranted charges, like Pay per Views that you did not order.

DirecTv's oval dish and Tivo's are a lot cheaper than Dish Network's DVR's. The oval dish to get the locals is a lot smaller and easier to setup as well. It has the lnbf built in. Also there is only one $5 DVR fee per account and their basic recievers have been cheaper. I can get them for next to nothing. Some people give them to me thats how cheap they are. If their advantages over DirecTv goes away so will some of their subs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)