Status
Not open for further replies.

John W

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Planet Earth
all of a sudden as a summer storm popped up here in South Florida I heard what sounded to be a single engine plane at low altitude over my house. I looked outside and it was the Goodyear blimp Stars & Stripes with its nose up into the wind probably not more that a few hundred feet off the ground. It stayed in that position for a good ten minutes fighting to keep its position but then suddenly it turned its nose slightly westward and the wind swept it away. A few minutes later it crashed over by my dads house which is about two mile away from me. Fortunately nobody was injured but if that thing would have let loose when it was over my house I would be dealing with my insurance company now and getting free tires for life.

What a trip to see that happen. The blimp was circling the building I work in for most of the day but we always see it and never thought much of it

Thats wild John! I've seen the blimp at the municipal airport here in Fort Myers many times. I've always wondered what would happen when one of our out of nowhere storms would come if it was up in the air.

I guess you found out!

BTW, where are you SW FL?

angiodan said:
BTW, where are you SW FL?

I live in Coral Springs. Its 12 miles west of where the blimp is kept. NW corner of inhabited Broward County, just South of Boca Raton

Nobody was injured thank God. Right now I can hear all the local news station helicopters hovering over the crash so you all should be able to see it on your local news. The Fox affiliate is usually first on the scene for things like this.

John Walsh said:
Nobody was injured thank God. Right now I can hear all the local news station helicopters hovering over the crash so you all should be able to see it on your local news. The Fox affiliate is usually first on the scene for things like this.
Fta folks alert!... used to love news feeds on C and Ku when I had BUD hooked up... and thank God no injuries...

Yes, thank God no one was hurt. Kinda ironic as there was a show about the Hindenburg on History today.

thats crazy, I live here in ohio about 2 miles from the original goodyear blimp hanger and there was a crash here one day, whole thing burned right up, about a mile from where I live. I am glad no one was hurt, that blimp is a sight though!

They showed it on Fox News. (Video) They asked the Pilot " Was that a Goodyear?" He said" Worst year ever"

John Walsh said:
I used to live fairly close to that hanger in Akron when I was a kid (actually lived in Canton). Here is a link to a pretty good pic of it on the ground

http://www.ajc.com/news/content/news/stories/0605/17blimp.html

some more

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/orl-locmblimp17061705jun17,0,1522165.story?coll=orl-news-headlines
I live right in between the one in akron on 224, and the one in suffield, okay I lied I am actually really close to the one in suffield and about 4-5 minutes from the one in Akron! I do like canton, when was the last time you were here?

Status
Not open for further replies.