The Joey 3 is a real speed demon.

Jon J

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 16, 2005
Music City, USA
Recently when arranging to renew my Dish programming the CSR (Jon) suggested replacement of my Joey 2 with a Joey 3...the latest and greatest. A field tech did just that and the speed increase is remarkable. It is the about the size of a small paperback novel, responds very fast and even responds to RF remote commands through two walls. The tech designers did a really good job here.

When it comes time to decide what do when my Dish contract is up, should I choose to stay with Dish which is a significant possibility, getting my Joey 2s upgraded would definitely be a goal for me. The 2.0s are usable, unlike the C61k I had before, but they really could use a speed up.

Upgrading to the Joey 3 was suggested by the Dish rep who had just spent 30 minutes designing a new programming package for me a week before my 3-year price guarantee expired. Unfortunately the system would not let him make it effective at that time because the first guarantee period was still in effect. He did, however, put everything in his notes and suggested I phone in the day after my guarantee period expired to activate everything he designed. I phoned and the second rep had me set up in less than ten minutes...including the Joey upgrade.

Reactions: ncted
Question for you guys.

Without a lot of work, I can't run a separate cable to add a Joey in the bedroom. However, I do have a Comcast RG-6 running into the same room to a modem. Can a good old fashion 2 diplexer solution work with MoCA and whatever frequency Xfinity uses?

Question for you guys.

Without a lot of work, I can't run a separate cable to add a Joey in the bedroom. However, I do have a Comcast RG-6 running into the same room to a modem. Can a good old fashion 2 diplexer solution work with MoCA and whatever frequency Xfinity uses?

No diplexers with Joeys.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Upgrading to the Joey 3 was suggested by the Dish rep who had just spent 30 minutes designing a new programming package for me a week before my 3-year price guarantee expired. Unfortunately the system would not let him make it effective at that time because the first guarantee period was still in effect. He did, however, put everything in his notes and suggested I phone in the day after my guarantee period expired to activate everything he designed. I phoned and the second rep had me set up in less than ten minutes...including the Joey upgrade.

Was there a charge for the hardware upgrade?

Quick question to jsheridan and that other Midwest installer. WiFi Joey has alway been a slug bug. My wife is fighting lung cancer and would like faster response to her joey. What do you think my costs if her Joey is on/ next to hopper3 wall?

Quick question to jsheridan and that other Midwest installer. WiFi Joey has alway been a slug bug. My wife is fighting lung cancer and would like faster response to her joey. What do you think my costs if her Joey is on/ next to hopper3 wall?

I'm very sorry about your wife. Here's hoping and praying for all the best. :)

I don't know what your charges would be, it's all determined by the big DISH computer and your specific account, but if the TV is on the other side of the wall from the Hopper it shouldn't be too hard to get a wire there. If you qualify for a Dishin' It Up deal there might be no charge at all.

If they tell you there's a charge then maybe if you tell them you want to add a Joey 3 at that location there probably wouldn't be a charge. Then a week or two after it's installed you might discover that you don't need the wireless Joey anymore and you could call them to remove it from the account. ;)

I have been a Dish subscriber for 10 years. When I want a remote upgrade or a Joey 3 I start the conversation with "I have been a Dish customer for 10 years and I dont expect to pay to upgrade equipment". They look me up in the system and realize in a world where people are not loyal they are dealing with a loyal guy......me. And that it is more expensive to them to find new customers than keep existing customers.

Works everytime.

If they try to raise my bill I call and tell them the same thing and get the price I want or free programming. It also helps that I was a professional negotiator for 35 years and live to make deals. It also works with Home Depot, my garbage service, Verizon, JC Penny, etc. You just need the courage to ask and research. Remember that prices are just "wishes"

I was out of contract for a few months and when I called to cancel they gave me a good deal to stay on for 12 months and I said I’d take it if they threw two Joey 3s and new remotes in. They are a lot nicer. Just wish they could do YouTube like the H3.

Reactions: ncted
I keep wanting to swap out my Joey 4K for a wireless Joey for the TV in the sunroom, since during the winter we don't use it and it goes un-used all winter. With a wireless Joey we'd probably move it to the utility room or kitchen. But since that is our main TV viewing when the weather is nice, I hesitate to move to a Joey that is noticeably slower that what we're used to.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)