The Mist finally made into a movie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Van

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Jul 8, 2004
Virginia Beach
I remember reading this story 20+ years ago when I got a book of short stories written by Stephen King from a second hand store. The story has always been the best work he has ever done as it really gave me the heebee jeebee's. Over the last few weeks I've seen the movie trailer on nothin but trailers and so far it looks like the movie is following the story very closely and the effects look great, hope they pull this off because there are parts of the story that can only have been done cleanly within the last 5 years or so.

I remember hearing it on public radio, a "Kunstkopf Binaural Audio" production, recommended to be listened to with headphones. Scared the crap out of me. I can't wait to see this one.

The fog had pirate ghosts coming back to exact revenge while the mist deals with military experiment gone horribly wrong, saying anything more will give away to much info but lets just say that you would preffer to run into the pirate ghost's as compared to whats in the mist.

That was the remake wich although decent was not as good as the original. The Mist has a pretty good range of actors both tv based and theatrical.

YouTube - The Mist Trailer

The Mist This is a good website

There is a bit of a problem though with two items shown in the trailer, one is the period specific military jeep that looks like its straight out of Patton and then later a color screen cell phone.

I'm hoping its good. It's really hard to tell from the trailers. I've been following the production on the official website for some time as, like folks above, it was one of my favorite Stephen King stories.

Chicago Tribune, in stark contrast to Roger Ebert at the Sun-Times, gave it 3 and 1/2 stars.

Let's hope they gave the source material for Half-Life a proper treatment...the thing that scares me most (pun intended) is that they didn't give the movie the budget it needed to be wholly convincing. It's a simple tale, yes, but you don't want to have it feel cheap, and some of the clips/scenes felt a little, well, rough.

The payoff in the story was the sudden 'opening up' of the small claustrophobic story to an enormous affected world and the insinuation of a high-tech military experiment gone awry. That's what would make this feel 'cinematic' and I hope they didn't chicken out on showing us the goods...

Last edited:
You might be surprised at what a low budget film can pull off, there are several films that I've given reviews on that had low budgets but are definitely better than what you would expect out of such small budgets ( 4 million ). The only thing the movies need is some cleaning up with a couple long spots and a little more work on the dubbing.

You might be surprised at what a low budget film can pull off, there are several films that I've given reviews on that had low budgets but are definitely better than what you would expect out of such small budgets ( 4 million ). The only thing the movies need is some cleaning up with a couple long spots and a little more work on the dubbing.

Yeah, I thought the original 'Resident Evil' did a great job of that with its final extreme long-shot pullback (yeah, have to admit it, that film is a guilty pleasure of mine--like Milla, like the score, thought they made a lot out of a smallish budget).

The reviews that I've read (that I somewhat trust) seem to say that 'The Mist' looks good...that the production values hold up. And they seem to suggest that the ending might do just what we describe (open up to the 'bigger stage'/story), thought I've been careful to avoid spoilers.

Anyone seen this flick yet? Still interested in hearing regular folk's first-hand opinions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts