The next threat to our HD PQ is this!!!!!!!

Subchannels subtract from a full HD bandwidth allotment OTA.

Now, on a 720p OTA network, this is of minimal concern. 1080i networks can expereince macroblocking, blurriness, etc.
I disagree about 720p. The NFL on FOX has never looked as good as full bitrate CBS. At 15 mbps + 1 for audio there simply is not enough bandwidth to resolve all of the grass and it often appears to be moving. That might be nitpicking but its the truth.

I am guessing the fear of trying to broadcast .2 in HD as well as the main feed in HD. (edit: I realize that there isn't enough bandwidth and that is not what the fear was... my bad)

The network has been incubating for four years in an altered form—as the Guardian Television Network on Sky Angel, a package of religious and family-oriented programming that migrated from satellite to an IPTV platform earlier this year.

As Schilg describes it, GTN is .2 Network without the movies.(source)
So it is "movie" subchannel from the makers of Sky Angel. I think they will have a harder time lining up affiliates than start-ups like RTN.

Last edited:
I disagree about 720p. The NFL on FOX has never looked as good as full bitrate CBS. At 15 mbps + 1 for audio there simply is not enough bandwidth to resolve all of the grass and it often appears to be moving. That might be nitpicking but its the truth.

You're misreading me - this is in relation to inserting one subchannel on either 720p or 1080i, not a comparison of the two normally.

I agree with your perception normally, though. I prefer fullbitrate 1080i to full bitrate 720p

You're misreading me - this is in relation to inserting one subchannel on either 720p or 1080i, not a comparison of the two normally.

I agree with your perception normally, though. I prefer fullbitrate 1080i to full bitrate 720p
point taken. I guess People seem to tolerate a subchannel in 720p but IMO its because they dont have a fullbitrate 720p affiliate to compare it too. In any case HD fans need to voice their displeasure with these subchannel schemes. They all seem to fail. USDTV, ABC's NewsNow, The tube....... If these things had suceeded HD OTA would be few and far between.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts