The PlayStation Vue Thread

The story is they are in negotiations for several channels, including the NFL network, whose contracts are scheduled to expire the end of this month or next month. Instead of a price increase entering my thinking, I was wondering if this is a "we might lose some channels so here are a few new ones" strategy. But, if so, I am perplexed, Baby Me is one of them. Talk about a niche channel.

Reactions: Zookster and ncted
The story is they are in negotiations for several channels, including the NFL network, whose contracts are scheduled to expire the end of this month or next month. Instead of a price increase entering my thinking, I was wondering if this is a "we might lose some channels so here are a few new ones" strategy. But, if so, I am perplexed, Baby Me is one of them. Talk about a niche channel.

Good point. I had forgotten about all the pending channel negotiations on PS Vue's plate. If it's not too perplexing, I'd like to go back on my earlier conjecture and speculate that PS Vue wouldn't raise prices in July with their channel lineup still up in the air.

Reactions: ncted
Good point. I had forgotten about all the pending channel negotiations on PS Vue's plate. If it's not too perplexing, I'd like to go back on my earlier conjecture and speculate that PS Vue wouldn't raise prices in July with their channel lineup still up in the air.

I think speculating about not raising prices with all of these negotiations is certainly valid and if they keep those channels, I would surmise a price increase at that point would be in order by Vue.

But, if they lose the NFL Network and Red Zone, I will be thinking about my next move. I assume Sunday Ticket will not be available for streaming this year since it is still exclusive to DirecTV

I guess it would be have to be Sling. But, I tried them out a few weeks ago and I was not overly impressed. Maybe I am simply being recalcitrant for what I considered a bad ad during their 40% off subscription sale. (I did not see if you took the 7 day trial, no 40% off for you)

FUBO would be great, but no SEC Network, takes them out of the running. (BTW, it is perplexing to me that the college networks such as SEC are not offered as a simple service)

I guess I will go back to my original thinking and do Vue for most of the year and Sling during the NFL season.

Maybe HULU will step up and finally get the NFL Network and Red Zone. That would be great. I guess only time will tell

And they are adding NHL Network. When I had PS Vue that was one of the most requested channels in discussion groups, so many people ought to be happy, though it hardly accounts for a $5 price increase.
The NHL is alright in a sense but they don't have that many games. NBCSN has more hockey games than they do. Most of the games NHL Network has are games coming from Canada. They do have minor league games.

stmcld, SEC Network is a must for us during football season. Seeing your avatar, I was on the field for the A&M/UK OT football game last season!

I'm really happy with Vue's offering (channels & quality) , but decided to do the math on price. At first glance, Sling didn't come out much cheaper for us to get a comparable package (Orange, Blue, DVR, sports, kids). Roughly $8 bucks saved a month after these Vue price hikes. Have all my locals within Vue & DVR access on them vs using LoCast (bad OTA area). Maybe it's just my family use case, but I'm likely not switching for less the cost of a burrito ;). Going from Dish to Vue saved me $50+ per month. Much different there. Will pull up Excel tomorrow & crunch #s again, accounting for ratcheting down package outside of football season.

[EDIT] NVM, I was using the lower cost, discounted Sling pricing. After month 1, my selection would've been more expensive than Vue. Will take another look soon. Vue's offering seems to be the closest to more traditional offerings regarding selection & features.

Sony is reportedly looking to sell its PlayStation Vue streaming service

Sony is currently looking for a buyer of its PlayStation Vue TV streaming service, according to a new report published by The Information. The company has reportedly already approached one potential buyer, the sports-focused streaming service FuboTV, with a sale that would include the service’s approximately 500,000-strong subscriber base, alongside its underlying technology. That customer tally is substantially less than other subscription TV services, despite PlayStation Vue being one of the first such services to launch

I still say poor branding was a big part of their lack of success.

I tried it for the first time not too long ago, and I felt like maybe they had stopped developing it at some point. It seemed somewhat unfinished.

Sony Interactive Entertainment to Shut Down PlayStation Vue

Well, looks like Sony’s venture into live streaming will be coming to a close.
I'm a little surprised by this decision. Vue was a solid option for customer's looking for options to cable and satellite. AT&T is apparently trying to price themselves out of the competition and now this! I think the problem is that "Skinny Bundles" are not skinny enough for potential cord cutters. I would like to see a company like Dish(Sling) offer a different version of Orange and Blue. Make one a "Sports package" that includes both ESPN and Fox channels, have another package like Philo's entertainment package and then offer the major networks as an optional add-on package for those who need it. The problem, as always, is getting the content providers to cooperate.

Such a shame. When all of these started popping up, Vue was far and away my favorite. It was extremely stable, had great packages to choose from (at a price), and had a dvr that was at least at the time ahead of anything else offered by the competition.

That is generally advisable when it comes to any new service or product Sony introduces. Sony has a poor track record of failures due in part to poor marketing and support. My paperweight of a PS Vita is just one example.

Also true of Google. Apparently, the only reason Google Voice is still around is some Alphabet execs apparently love it.

Also true of Google. Apparently, the only reason Google Voice is still around is some Alphabet execs apparently love it.
They recently used that as the platform to fill out the phone feature-set of their GSuite enterprise offering, and also used a lot of the background infrastructure to launch Project Fi.

I think YoutubeTV has a future because every product launch has been highlighting targeted marketing as a key benefit to putting live TV on the Internet. If there is any player in a good position to actually implement that system, it’s Alphabet with Youtube. They already have the marketplace established with regular Youtube to effectively sell ads, they just need the content producer contracts to bend so they can make the pivot. The loss leader for YoutubeTV is the DVR, but if you look at how they’ve structured their package they are focusing on channels that people tend to watch live. (News, sports)

Some people freak out about targeted ads, but I’m willing to keep an open mind if it stops the constant barrage of catheter ads.

Reactions: Zookster

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts