The solution to our bandwidth and content needs!

JohnTomFerg

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 11, 2006
Huntsville, AL
I don't generally post that often, but with this stroke of genius I could not hold back. I may be going out on a limb here, but realize I am writing this with a smile on my face and a tongue in my cheek. Comments are appreciated. Humorous comments are really appreciated.

I read new entries here every day on the following gripe:

Not enough content (whether it is RSNs, HD Networks, a particular SD channel that is missing, etc) that the poster wants to see.

This is then usually followed by "but we get that crap channel?"

or

"There isn't enough bandwidth to get it done."

or

<<insert most often read comment here>>

Well, let's look at the average day of any of the channels. Anyone here watch anything in early hours of the morning?

How much wasted channel space and bandwidth is given to 14 copies of the same infomericial?

Make the Informercials or Paid Programming post an identificaiton ID (if one isn't already there) and then broadcast that informercial only one time on one channel. If it is an issue of channel 'logo' advertising, then if the infomercial is on LIFE FOOD and HGTV then give the label "LIFE FOOD HGTV" (in no particular order so the channel doesn't feel bad. Or better yet, prompt the user when switching to the channel to pick which channel he/she was actually tring to get to A) LIFE, B) FOOD, or C) HGTV and then technically they went to the channel they expect :). When the infomercial blocks (plural) are over, switch them back to the true channel they selected and redivide the signal.

While you may think this is a lot of overhead on the receiver... I say, "nah" we have interactive applications that very few people use out the wazuu... what's a little labelling between friends?

Now, what to do with those empty 13 feeds (recall 14 feeds that have been consolidated into one in the example)? use your imagination. :)

Happy New Year!

Yeah, but that would be a good time then to use a bunch of that available BW for true HD feeds of stuff we really want and could DVR for watching at our convenience!

I like the idea but I doubt it will ever fly, at least not with those channels. Remember, they pay the providers to be there which helps keep our bills and programming where they are now vs. higher and fewer.

Someday when everyone can time shift I think there will be some efforts along these lines, may we live so long...!

Yea, I don't get it... you can't save bandwidth. It's there or it's not there.
It's all in how you allocate it. The OP's point was to consolidate a number of meaningless (to most of us) redundant broadcasts to free-up time/BW for other content, and the idea would certainly work from a technical standpoint...

They could do this at night to get extra bandwidth for VOD. You probably gave Dish an idea on how to make more money rather than give us more bandwidth for extra HD content unless Dish is going to be generous enough to give us some of that extra space on the hard drive to give us HD on demand.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)