The Timm

SonicRob

SatelliteGuys Pro
Oct 31, 2004
You should be Voom Movie Critic you seem you know allot about movies what did you think about Starman my sister and brother-inlaw came over to visit and spend the night and they loved it the PQ was awesome jeff bridges played a great role i have not watched these movie since 1984 and i told my Brother-Inlaw time flies i could still remember way back then.LOL :D

You should never post after you have ten cups of coffee.

SonicRob said:
You should be Voom Movie Critic you seem you know allot about movies what did you think about Starman my sister and brother-inlaw came over to visit and spend the night and they loved it the PQ was awesome jeff bridges played a great role i have not watched these movie since 1984 and i told my Brother-Inlaw time flies i could still remember way back then.LOL :D
Thanks, SonicRob. I don't really know that much about movies -- I'm just opinionated, and since a thread was started asking for reviews of movies and I watch a lot of those movies...
Unfortunately, I don't really agree with your relatives on Starman, and didn't think Jeff Bridges did much with the juicy role he had. I didn't hate the movie -- it just felt very dated, which is a risk you run when making a sci-fi film. Part of my problem may be that I hadn't seen it before so never experienced it when it was fresh. Another movie from yesterday (The Food of the Gods) was similar in being outdated sci-fi, but I loved watching that one -- probably because I had fond memories of watching it as a kid.
Here's the review I posted of Starman in the reviews thread:

Starman - 2.5 stars : Has sort of a been-there-done-that haven't-I-seen-this-story-before kind of feel to it. Maybe it felt more original back in 1984? Hardly anything happens that you don't see coming a mile away. That being said, the story is a fun one. Good PQ and nice surround sound (albeit one with a cheesy sound effect or two). Pretty bad performance by Jeff Bridges IMO, although I did laugh at his reaction to his first puff from a cigarette.

bruce said:
You should never post after you have ten cups of coffee.
When SonicRob first starting posting and I read some of his posts with his frenetic style and obvious aversion to punctuation it drove me crazy but you get used to it now i look forward to his posts and the energy and excitement that i can almost feel in them rock on Rob. :D

If you have seen the John Carpenter Documentary on Monsters HD, it explains how Starman came to be. Before Starman John Carpenter did "The Thing" which took a heavy rain of critism since it was about an Alien that was not so friendly. The other Alien that was friendly and it was released at the same time as "The Thing" was "E.T.". According to the story critics were furious that John Carpenter had done so a movie which went beyond anything in the Monster/Horror gendre before and it showed very graphical presentation of this Alien. John Carpenter was and has been a very independent film maker. Usually, his movies are low budget and with his own style.

Since John took such a heavy critism, he was advised to make a "friendly" movie. This is how Starman came about. Starman served as a redemption form making "The Thing". Good stuff in that documentary.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)