The truth on programming access fees?

CaseLogic

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 13, 2008
For starters, we don't even have phone service in our apartment. Don't need it, don't have it.

We have two dual receivers, one upstairs and one downstairs. the upstairs one is in the room with our wireless router, we can probably have that plugged in 24/7. However, downstairs, all we have is a wireless receiver bridge for our Xbox 360. If we occasionally plug in the ethernet into the receiver instead of the xbox, will this be sufficient. Does it REALLY have to be connected 24/7? Once a day? Once a week? Maybe even once a month?

The charge is on our statement (for both receivers), but it says they will be waived once they've "called in"

I had this exact same situation... instead of switching between my xbox and vip722, I just picked up a cheap Linksys switch and plugged in the 360 and the Vip722...

So I went Wireless Bridge->4 port switch->xbox,722

I also hooked up my HD DVD player at the time when I had that... no problems...

Not sure about how long it actually has to be plugged in, but I have a similar set up. My vip722 is located near an Access Point I use as a bridge for my 360. You can get a cheap switch, plug the bridge into the Uplink port and then run Ethernet to the devices. Works very well.

Edit: Must have posted at the same time with the same info! :)

we might give it a shot, but if anyone can confirm whether or not it needs to be constantly hooked up, that might help me make a decision. No use spending money on a router if it's not needed.

Spend the money. They are going to be announcing some exciting VOD stuff early next year which will make the investment in the router worth it. ;)

Spend the money. They are going to be announcing some exciting VOD stuff early next year which will make the investment in the router worth it. ;)
I mean I don't mind getting one over the next month or two, but we just spent $149.99 on activation, and paying 2 months of service on the first statement. We'd like to hold off on any extra purchases for Dish for til at least the new year :)

why was acitvation fee not waived?, i thought it usually was when you sign 2 yera commitment
because we didn't want the 2 year commitment. One more year at my current apartment with my current roommates, so I didn't want to get stuck with Dish if I move somewhere on my own and won't need it.

Please spill the information what VOD, will it be X rated? Will it be priced right like $5.00 or priced at the dumb price of $20.00???

Actually, they already have X-rated VOD it looks like...

Not that I've looked or anything...:eek:

Ok...fine...I was just checking out ALL the programming available for download and saw it was there...:rolleyes:

I know I made a post about this earlier in another thread. There is a way to "force" the receiver to make a call if there is one waiting in the cue. I do not have the exact menu string, but it did work for another poster that was connecting his receiver to a phone line specifically for the call and then disconnecting again.

HAH! Found it... I'm not at home so I can't verify the options are the same but:

Solution: At least once a month, plug [the receiver] into the internet or phone line then press MENU+6+3 click on "Call Out". If there is a call pending, it will call at that point and no dual tuner fee that month.

Hi everyone,

I have been constantly reading satelliteguys forum and have joined to help answer or ask some questions of my own.

I wanted to comment on this topic as I have been through this myself and have found a solution.

1. Dish will have descent VOD, but it isn't perfected yet. I would not spend the money YET.
2. Dish may have that stuff 'soon' according to many CSR's.

Now, as far as the programming access fee. It's a ripoff. I don't have a phone line either and when I got my bill a year ago I was furious. They refused to removed it. At that point I told them to forget it, and I didn't want the service. I was transferred to an account rep who asked what was wrong and I informed him of the stupid fee. After discussing it with him, they finally agreed to remove it completely.

Here is the trick - I have a network as well and I wanted to order a pay per view and use some network features. I connected my network to the receiver and ordered my PPV. No problem right? WRONG. If at ANY point you connect a network to the receiver, it will kick that fee right back in EVERY TIME! I have to call them and argue when it happens and it is getting very old. I even had a rep have the audacity this month to tell me I never had the charges removed. After a supervisor reviewed my account she apologized to me and admitted she was wrong.

My opinion: do like I did and have them removed the charges. IF and WHEN they get descent on demand 'soon' PERMANENTLY connect your network to it to avoid triggering those fees and hassles again. Hope this helps!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)