The vip622 is a heater

whunteman

Original poster
Jul 15, 2004
Menasha,Wi
Got my 622 installed last Friday and one word sums up the 622-"GORGEOUS".
It is all that I expected it to be. After working in electrical and electronics for
over 40 years, I would like to pass on some advice. Heat kills electronics.

I took some temp. readings on the 622. The exhaust air at the rear left
hand side is very warm. The readings I got were: 103-104*F. My room temp.
was about 72*F
Make sure the receiver has plenty of ventilation. Keep it out in the open so
it doesn't overheat.

Bill

Sounds like it suffers from the same design flaws as the rest of the E* DVRs. When I get one I will likely remove the top cover and leave it off permanently.

Pepper said:
Sounds like it suffers from the same design flaws as the rest of the E* DVRs. When I get one I will likely remove the top cover and leave it off permanently.
Careful with that! Not knowing what's in the 622 (yet) I can't say with certainty, but sometimes the cover and other "body parts" are part of the channeling necessary to get the airflow past the components that need it the most. Maybe someone who has opened a 622 can confirm.

I do agree with the original post - heat definitely is a derating factor in electronic reliability and needs to be managed!

Gentlemen;
My second 622 failed due to heat related problems, lost the front end. The first would not record. I'm waiting for the third one. I think a screen grill over the power supply would ease the heating problems. A fan on the small ported side would possibly impact the hard drive cooler. Has anyone else have to replace two units?

L3.55 Buglist (ViP 622)

My Replacement 622 Works!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)