The Weather Channel® And Dish Network® Launch Easier-than-ever Access To Weather Info

I really do not get this romanticism with the weather channel. If I need to know the weather which I do every morning, I put the local channel and there I have it. That is the only time I need it. No more.

Weather channel is only useful when they are on location at a major disaster area (hurricane, flood, earthquake, etc.). Other than that, you can get everything you need from locals.

SeanMota and DanLee, have you ever had The Weather Channel on cable or seen it on cable ? It is vastly different and it's really "local" too. If you turn on your local news channel at 10:45am, are you gonna get weather ? I doubt it.... Now, if you're referring to a local channel's digital sub-channel, which many are using for 24-hour weather, yes, that's a different situation. A lot of people don't have that option.

I don't "watch" The Weather Channel like a normal channel, nor did I when I had cable, but believe it or not, some people do watch it a lot ! I never understood it, but hey, that's their business, not mine.

I like the feature. It works on my 322 receiver. When I was on Cable, TWC only cycle through the local weather info in between programs. And what they mean "local" for me is the next town. The new feature on Dish allows me to enter the zip code and you can get the forecast anywhere you want. It's especially useful if you are planning a trip.

its not great, only ok. but it would be better if you could access the feature anytime you want. there is no point to restricting to only on the 8s. who would wait around for up to 9 minutes when you could just go immediately to channel 100.

I left my 622 on The Weather Channel for over an hour and never did I get a pop up asking me to press select.

It works if I go into the Weather Channel Application through Dish Home.

Is it working on the 622 for anyone?

On a side note, for months I have been seeing people orgasm when talking about "weather on the 8's". What the hell is ""weather on the 8's"?
Never had cable service with The Weather Channel ? Basically, at 8 minutes, 18, 28, 38, 48, 58, and repeating, TWC breaks into true "local" weather. It's just as good as what your local TV station will do (except the news is only on a limited number of times each day there). Watch TWC for 15-20 minutes once and they'll announce that "your local weather is coming up". If you're on cable, you'll see it. If you're on satellite, you get weather for Washington DC, New York City, Miami, Dallas, and so on...

Not on my 622 yet either. No interactive pop-up.

On a side note, for months I have been seeing people orgasm when talking about "weather on the 8's". What the hell is ""weather on the 8's"?

On Cable from the weather channel, it is a series of slates from the NWS

Basic weather conditions temp, wind speed, etc.
Radar
Weather over the next fee hours
Weather later that day or night
2 day forecast
5 day forecast
Any special weather warnings

Although you can get it from the Internet, it is handy not having to fire up your computer just to get the weather forecast. For those of us in the Northeast what is nice is they will give detailed information about pending snow - when it is expected to start, how intense it will be, etc.

One thing I like about local on the 8's is it tells you what the high and low was during the day.The only thing I can suggest is for everyone that wants local on the 8's to email dishnetwork.Numbers speak.

Just got my email back from dish and they said the engineers wern't aware of this problem so I sent them the link to this post so they can see all the other modal numbers that arn't getting it yet.Hopefully now the problem will be corrected it may be a month from now but it should be fixed soon on all receivers.I told CS to send this to the engineers.There is apparently a software glitch that is keeping this from going to all receivers.

Nine times out of ten, they aren't aware of these problems.... well, that's what they seem to tell a LOT of people.
Maybe just to shut us up for another month! :D

I often noticed that when watching The Weather Channel, you usually get 2 or 3 different reports for a particular area; but then the local Denver channels will also do the same thing, give you a live forcaster saying one thing, but scroll something totally different on the bottom of the screen. But all of these differences were always more accurate than Dish Network's ACCU-WEATHER or whatever it was/is called.

I always liked The Weather Channel's "Local on the 8's" via (most) cable systems most of the time because, as Wkomorow said, it just broadcasts the Current Conditions, 12 Hour Forecasts, and 36 Hour Forcasts prepared by the U.S. Government's National Weather Service, as well as their radar data in a loop.

Since the current system is not working and doesn't provide accurate weather, I think they should spend no more effort/money on it, and just stream the NWS forcast files and a non-looped radar image; using a permanent Interactive Icon like on the HSN/QVC channels.:eureka

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)