Thinkin about switchin from Dish Network

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Outback Paul

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 21, 2003
Title says it all. I've had a DVR with Dish for 2 years and love it. I've got to have one with Directv too. I've been reading about the R15 and a DVR80. I'm not sure which way to go. I've never had a Tivo, just Dish Network's version of it. What's the main differences between the two?

Thanks

I seen a DTV DVR awile ago and the program guide was really slow. Also it looks like you have to commit for 2 years which is too long for me.

Last edited:
Roger said:
I seen a DTV DVR awile ago and the program guide was really slow. Also it looks like you have to commit for 2 years which is too long for me.
if he buys a R-15 or a DVR-80 he will still get stuck with a 2 year commit.

What model do they give you on directtv.com for free? Their Cinemax selection of only three channels sucks!

Roger said:
What model do they give you on directtv.com for free? Their Cinemax selection of only three channels sucks!
I would not go with DIRECTV to buy your equipment (you sometimes have a higher % of getting a bad installer) go with http://www.valueelectronics.com/
they are the best i have family who have use them and they say they are the best

PS: If you want a DVR80 you have to call them to see if they have some in house all they have on there web site is R-10(tivo) and R-15(Dtv DVR) do not get a R-10 if you can help it why because if you want to hack the tivo to add:

HMO- Listen to MP3's and view your pictures right on the Directivo! from your PC

Multi Room Viewing - View shows from one Directivo to another

TiVoWebPlus Modification - Browse recorded shows, rename, schedule recordings from anywhere

you can't do that with a R-10 or R-15 you will need one of these units:
Hughes HDVR2, SD-DVR40/80/120
Phillips DSR7000, DSR704, DSR708
RCA DVR39, DVR40, DVR80, DVR120
Samsung SIR-S4040R, SIR-S4080R,
SIR-S4120R
Phillips HR10-250

Last edited:
Roger said:
Where can I get a system for only 12 month commitment?
if you want a 12 month commitment you have to get a non-DVR system if at any time you get a Dvr you will be under a 2 year commit

Roger said:
How good is DTV PVR compared to Tivo?

That's a very subjective thing.

How good is a Ford compared to a Toyota? Coke or Pepsi?

There's only opinions.

That having been said, the DTV R15 is a first generation product. It's got a number of fairly major software issues.

It is, however, in active development and has a fairly sizable commitment from DirecTV. When it is mature, it will probably be an excellent product.

The TiVo, particularly the R10, is what I would consider to be a fourth generation product.

It's very stable, and it's good at what it does. It is, however, at the end of it's design lifecycle by DirecTV's choice. (Regardless of how foolish that may have been, it's done.) It will not support new features going forward, and it does not support the same features as Standalone TiVos. It is, however, a hell of a lot cheaper.

I have had cable DVRs, Dish's 522, Standalone TiVo (HDR31202) and both an R10 and an HR10-250 and I'm happiest with the two lattermost.

H

Last edited:
So for the next two years would I be better off with the R15 since it will keep getting better through s/w updates as opposed to Tivo R-10 which won't have any new fueatures? Is Tivo being phased out at DTV?

Roger said:
So for the next two years would I be better off with the R15 since it will keep getting better through s/w updates as opposed to Tivo R-10 which won't have any new fueatures? Is Tivo being phased out at DTV?

I would say it will take at least a year until the R15 can compete with the quality level of the R10.

Stability -today-: R10 wins, hands down.

And yes, the R10 is the last TiVo DVR you'll see on DirecTV's platform.
They will be continue to be supported ad infinitum (a la Ultimate TV -- that is to say, until they all break down) but they're not manufacturing any new ones. There are still some in the retail channel, but they're dwindling.

I'd get an R10 today (free after rebate!) and upgrade to something else in 2007. It may not easily do the whiz bang MP3 and Multi room viewing crap, but it's a great, solid DVR.

If you're still undecided, wait at least until the end of next week. After CES, we should have a better picture as to what else 2006 may bring.

H

Outback Paul said:
Title says it all. I've had a DVR with Dish for 2 years and love it. I've got to have one with Directv too. I've been reading about the R15 and a DVR80. I'm not sure which way to go. I've never had a Tivo, just Dish Network's version of it. What's the main differences between the two?
Thanks
I had a 510 and a 501 with Dish for a couple of years. I switched to Dtv a couple of weeks ago. I got two r15s, one of them free the other $100. In my opinion they are far superior to both the 501 and 510. I can tell no difference in guide speed as compared with Dish. My parents got a r10 receiver a few weeks ago and the guide does seem a bit slow on it. I am very pleased with my switchout. I am tied to a two year commitment.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)