Thinking it is time to leave Dish

Discussion in 'Cord Cutters Club (Internet TV)' started by Rangers484, Jun 4, 2018.

1. Rangers484

Rangers484 Topic Starter SatelliteGuys Pro
    Pub Member / Supporter

Signed up for the 5 day free trials from PlayStation Vue and YouTube TV yesterday. Both seem to be pretty highly rated and YouTube has locals (getting from the next city over). PlayStation Vue has my CBS live and the rest of the locals on demand but I have my OTA antenna that I have been using with Dish for years so integrating into the app is a convenience. Anyone have any good or bad experiences with either service?

2. Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski Scanning the Skies!
    Staff Member HERE TO HELP YOU!

3. Tampa8

Tampa8 I'll Stand Up and Say So
    Pub Member / Supporter Lifetime Supporter

There's a ton of info on this site and others about those services, plus Direct Now, Hulu and Sling. Just BING them and see what people are saying. Like anytime you change it's about which service has the channels you want and in the best configuration that costs the least. Then what provisions do they have for a cloud DVR if you want that. And they all have one thing in common they depend on the internet. So at home how's your internet connection, do you lose it much etc... Do you have caps. Do you need your RSN...Does it matter how many can stream at a time, both how many allowed and how much your internet connection including router can handle.....

Those and other things you should look at then decide. Just like cable, or DISH or DIRECT each streaming service has attributes and things that are not as good as the other. I use a Slingbox which greatly increases my use of DISH including watching the Red Sox. I would need to add to my cost the purchase of MLB each season.

4. Tampa8

Tampa8 I'll Stand Up and Say So
    Pub Member / Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Alot talk about that recently. Not enough subscribers maybe with the more choices and more probably coming?

5. ncted

ncted SatelliteGuys Pro
    Pub Member / Supporter

:hatsoff

Tampa8 likes this.
  6. Rangers484

Pub Member / Supporter

Thanks, I have already Googled them to death. I was hoping for some personal insights from members but thanks for responding anyway.

Sent from my SM-G965U using the SatelliteGuys app!

7. Zookster

Zookster SatelliteGuys Pro

I switched to YTTV after 20 months with PS Vue. It was, and still is, $10 less per month for me (I'm grandfathered in at the $35/mo. price); it almost never buffers -- the handful of times it did, it was likely an issue with my ISP; and the price includes all the sports channels that are in higher tiers with Vue. The cons are a more restrictive DVR policy (most recorded prime shows are switched with a VoD version with forced commercials), more cumbersome UI (fewer short-cut buttons on Roku); and slightly poorer picture quality -- not bad, but not as good as PS Vue was on my PS4, even as more channels are being upgraded to 60 fps on YTTV. I don't need HGTV, Food Network, Discovery Channels, and NFL Network, which YTTV lacks. But the Tennis Channel (on YTTV) is among my most watched channels right now. So your preference may ultimately depend on your must-have channels.

8. Rangers484

Pub Member / Supporter

Any issues with HDCP on Vue? I am getting an error. Have switched my hdmi to the 2.2 complaint port but still getting it. Using a Roku Ultra.

Sent from my SM-G965U using the SatelliteGuys app!

9. Zookster

Perhaps one of the advantages of using ancient technology (a 2008 Panny plasma and Yamaha AVR from the same year), but no issues with HDCP using mostly my PS4, but sometimes a Roku Premiere+ (2016).

10. spencer7779

spencer7779 SatelliteGuys Pro

Once you have had an unlimited dvr, like Vue. Very hard to go back.

Zookster likes this.
  11. Zookster

Yep. After two years, I almost take it for granted now. All games by my home teams (pro and college) are automatically set to record, even though I don't sit and watch through all of them. And I never have to "manage" my storage by deleting old games. Last night I missed an 8-run outburst by my Padres, something I don't often get to see, so I simply rewinded to the point that the rally started.

spencer7779 likes this.
  12. Rangers484

Pub Member / Supporter

Pulled the trigger this weekend and went with PS Vue. YTTV is not an option in my area yet. So far I like it, going to take some getting used to after being with DISH for 12 years.

ncted and Zookster like this.
  13. ncted

ncted SatelliteGuys Pro
    Pub Member / Supporter

With Vue, do DVR recordings switch to OnDemand after some period of time?

14. spencer7779

spencer7779 SatelliteGuys Pro

Fox owned supposedly the next day. Other shows after 28 days.

Separate names with a comma.

More...