This is why the Dish stance on RSN's

Consumer choice, what a concept. It's been mine and others argument for years, concerning Distants. Charge something halfway reasonable to offset what the local may be losing in viewership, and allow someone from Boston to see their channels if they had to move to Oregon. Same with RSN's as you describe.
Wouldn't this be impossible due to a lack of bandwidth, ie... all locals being available to all dishes?

It wouldn't necessarily be all would be available, but at least they could legally be. Dish could pick the most popular ones and put them on Conus. LA, Chicago, NY, something from Florida, etc... Which by the way is exactly what they did many years ago for those in a "White Zone." Remember, I see this differently than your locals, there is some money to be made both by the distant wanting to be carried and by Dish. I accept paying for it, but let it be my decision, not the Government's.

I have said it before, go ahead and charge me 15.00 bucks a month for the Sport Pack and not need to upgrade my package beyound the Welcome Pack. I'll sign up that yesterday!

I have said it before, go ahead and charge me 15.00 bucks a month for the Sport Pack and not need to upgrade my package beyound the Welcome Pack. I'll sign up that yesterday!

Amen, brother. Since I mostly watch sports I'd quickly pay $15 month for Multi-Sport if I could add it to the Welcome (or even Smart) pack. Between NFL, MLB, NHL, NBA, Pac-12, Big Ten and Fox Soccer, I'd be set regardless of what else I had.

I'll say it from the start as it came from a CSR and, as we all know, they are usually the last to know anything but my brother has the Welcome Pack, Heartland, Encore packages. He called to see of he could get just the Golf Channel and Fox Sports South (for the Braves games not on Peachtree) - he isn't a Sat Guys member or he'd have known it was a no go ;). He was told no to Golf Channel but the CSR said it probably wouldn't be this year but by next he'd probably be able to "subscribe" to his RSN separately though they didn't know how much and that they were "working on that". He also likes the Mariners and asked if he could get them that way if it happened and was told no and that it would only get the RSN for your area.

I figure it's bull**** as we've discussed around here before in terms of taking what a CSR says as the gospel outside of DIRT but thought I'd throw it out there as I did read online somewhere that a provider (I think it was DirecTV) wanted to do a surcharge for RSNs.

navychop said:
DirecTV does in fact charge a surcharge for some RSNs today.

I hate that policy.

What directv should do is allow the customer to pick 1 sports network, to avoid the $3 fee.

For example, if I was in NY I would choose to see the Yankees over the mets.

Just not sure what the contracts with the rsn's say

Consumers still hold the cards in their wallets. If people start cutting the cord...
This is correct - the customer does in fact have the final say. Problem is, the vast majority don't put their money where their mouth is. They complain about pricing and increases but when that next bill comes, they pay it. And the next month... To make this stop, you have to hit the providers, and in turn the networks, where it hurts.

I hate that policy.

What directv should do is allow the customer to pick 1 sports network, to avoid the $3 fee.

For example, if I was in NY I would choose to see the Yankees over the mets.

Just not sure what the contracts with the rsn's say

That idea has been mentioned my some, I think you found the problem, will the RSN's permit it.....

That idea has been mentioned my some, I think you found the problem, will the RSN's permit it.....

If customers are given the choice to opt out of rsns,and the surcharge,they will have to change their stance.There will be a ton of subs that will say to heck with the surcharge.It's all eventually gonna come to a head imo.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)