This Letter from EchoStar on MPeg4 Compliancy!

Smith said:
CPU power is not only one criteria - it will require more RAM also.

THAT is what you were trying to say?! What does that have to do with an algorithm escaping from physical boundaries? Are you trying to say that an algorithm can't overcome the hardware limitations of certain receivers? Are you talking about limitations on available satellite bandwidth?

zzzzzzzzz

It won't be free to upgrade to MPEG-4, if we can get back on topic.

E* has NO REASON to change their philosophy at this point. Everyone SAYING they'll leave is not the same as everyone leaving. They know a lot of people are full of it and will stay/pay. You have to be prepared to leave, and considering they're dropping the ball (as well as a certain channel I need in july...), they're on thin ice with me...

I was ready to spring for the 942 until my cable company offered an HD DVR with great quality for a rental of only 9.95 per month. And it's on them to upgrade when that happens. Now I hear that my cable company is talking to Universal and also VOOM. If DISH doesn't move fast enough on more HD soon they've got cable breathing down their neck for all 21 Voom channels and at a fraction of the price.

Sarang said:
Because I don't want to end up having paid for a DVR/cable box in rental fees after I've had it for a couple of years. No I agree that Dish products are overpriced and E* needs to cut the crap and start selling their equipment in urban areas to really compete with D*. Also after the local HD bit comes to fruition I think E* needs to make locals cheaper for people who own their own equipment because D* beats E* with locals pricewise. Right now some people may not care because they have HD OTA but in the future the majority of people may want HD LiL's because I've heard people talking about the signal cutting out for HD OTA's so Dish may want to include it into the price to make it more affordable. I know I'm gonna get shredded for saying that.
During this digital TV transition, I just don't see a STB being worth much, if anything, after even two short years (both Cable and DBS). I agree that locals should be included in the package price (if available), but programming costs are bound to go up since broadcasters will most likely be allowed to charge MSOs for carriage of their digital signals.

Tvlman clearly understands the issue at hand: competition is catching up and if E* doesn't do something quickly, they will be at a competitive disadvantage...at least for the higher end customer:

Cable - I can rent as many HD DVRs as I wish for $6.95 per unit. Also, with the local headend rebuilt, they will soon be digital simulcasting will free up room for additional HD channels...plus, bundled discounts.

Verizon FiOS/SBC - coming to my area "big time" next spring/summer w/low-cost HD DVR rentals and lots of pristine SD/HD channels...plus, bundled discounts.

DirecTV - MPEG4 and HD LIL in my area (Washington DC DMA) soon. If they can deliver on half of their HD promises, improved HD PQ, offer a decent HD DVR, then I will give them serious consideration.

Although I am satisfied with my E* service (942 is sweet!), it still does not compare to what I had with VOOM DBS. (missing several VOOM21 and HD National Channels). Hopefully they will fill-in the missings pieces pretty soon and I'll stick with them, but they make it very hard not to look at what other providers are offering. Competition for the consumer video entertainment dollar is heating up quickly: cable is fighting back and DirecTV and Verizon FiOS/SBC are threatending to take video to the next level.

Again, just what are E*'s plans for MPEG-4 for the future? Will they abandon the higher end customer and go strictly for the discount subscriber?

Just a side note...am I the only one who opened this thread because the title makes no sense? What is "MPEG-4 Compliancy"? Compliance means adhering to a set of rules (or a medical regimen).

Are people under the impression that MPEG-4 is part of some government mandate? No wonder they have such unrealistic expectations.

MPEG-4 is a technology that will allow satellite companies to serve customers better, and therefore make more money in the long run. Eventually, market forces will force them to give customers new receivers cheap or free, but certainly not due to any laws or rules.

Here's one reality check that I haven't seen come up much. Although Voom Originals is temporarily sold incomplete and separately, they have stated that they will require operators to carry all 21 channels in a basic HD tier. I think this is why many of us feel that current HD customers will get the most concessions in the MPEG-4 transition. If they could get away with multiple tiers (HD Top 15 and HD Top 35), there would be little need to give anything away.

BUT, that still doesn't mean they need to replace the 921s and 942s. I think this will all fall right in the middle of the best and worst case scenerios presented here.

My personal belief- Current 921/942 owners will be offered a 411 for free (maybe with no additional receiver fee as long as you have HD Pack), or a 962 at a cost somewhat less than whatever DirecTV would charge a new customer for an HD-DVR. Not free, not full-price.

Tekken:

This has been discussed to death elsewhere. Gist: In theory, the MPEG-4 decoding can be done in software, but in fact the hardware approach is better. Current STBs just don't have the "horsepower."

I must beg to differ with the current opion here about MPEG4 being a software update. It is not! You must have a MPEG4 decoder (This will come only in a hardware form for settop boxes) in order to be able to decode MPEG4 on the fly. If you do not mind waiting a few minutes to view what you want to watch then you will have to have the hardware decoder period.

Now if You want to put a nice 64 bit processor in the settops and about 4 gig of Video Ram than you would be able to software decode MPEG4 -- maybe in real time but I still doubt it.

Bottom Line -- No receiver that Dish has out now can decode MPEG4. It might be possible to send a 942 in and have it updated but that would also require a differant software update in order to be in compliance with current hardware in the box then with a totally new MPEG4 box. The 411 and the 962 is what we will have to have to see any new HD from Dish. I predict that what we are all using now will be doorstops for new HD in 90 days. :(

JoeSp said:
...I predict that what we are all using now will be doorstops for new HD in 90 days. :(
90 days Hell! I predict that you already see all the Dish HD you're ever going to on your current HD receivers.

mdonnelly said:
90 days Hell! I predict that you already see all the Dish HD you're ever going to on your current HD receivers.
That's been said before - more than once.

Then came Voom. :cool:

Now they're testing the LA nets in HD.